Major Rewrite Of Linux's FS-Cache / CacheFiles So It's Smaller & Simpler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    The page cache is not released, after being used, it can stay there forever, and your machine can start swapping like crazy, and no release of page cache..
    you are crazy. page cache will be dropped as needed and you replied to post regarding dentry cache, not page cache

Comment

Originally posted by Eumaios View Post
      Thanks to David Howells for his work. If FS-Cache is for network file systems, the rewrite will benefit mostly servers?
      actually it will benefit clients of network file systems. some of them can also be servers of something else

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        CacheFiles files should benefit for cache from local filesystems..so it should theoretically also benefit desktop's,
        The amount of the benefit its something that we don't know, it will depend from case to case, considering each use case,
        But this, if CacheFiles is what I am thinking about, I am not sure..

Maybe someone more educated on the matter can elaborate more about the subject..
        the article is misleading. cachefiles is a backend for fs-cache which stores cache in files on local filesystem. i.e. it will benefit same usecase fs-cache will benefit because they are used in tandem.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Not an expert on any on this but I was wondering if there should be a totally new POSIX 2.0 (like we did with Vulkan vs GL, or Wayland vs X11), it shows its age by dealing with its old naming conventions from the 1980's and little issues like that. I for one don't like that when you list files in any folder the system also lists "." and "..", so 99.9% of code has to test each file name against these names:

for (...) {
          if (d->d_name != "." && d->d_name != "..")
          // go on
          }
          posix is c api, so you are showing c code. you can't compare strings like that, you have to compare their contents.
          you don't need posix 2.0, just provide higher-level api on top of it, which will use more powerful language and do all preprocessing you want

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
            I would love to have a way to tell the kernel "this is a process that runs rarely please don't cache after it's done"

Would help with backups and very big greps
            https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man...fadvise.2.html

Comment

I think they meant outside the process. Like nocache enables you to tell cp without actually modifying cp.

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Absolutely, but personally I would prefer putting a program that benefits from nocache to a cgroup and set some memory limits (easy with systemd).
              Yeah, that makes sense. It was mostly just an example of why it's still a good idea to be wise about page cache use.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                While this is entirely true, it is also true that keeping pages you can determine will not be needed again is also a waste of memory. Keep in mind your disk is much bigger than you physical memory. This means there will probably be filesystem pages competing for that memory at some point, you want to reduce those conflicts if you can do it easily.
                That's where tools like down1 shared come in handy.
                you are answering different question. those tools will help against eviction of something else from cache, they will not give you more free memory

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                  I think they meant outside the process. Like nocache enables you to tell cp without actually modifying cp.
                  nocache actually is implemented with posix_fadvise. and based on wording "tell kernel this is the process" i can interpret it as syscall, because typing "nocache" tells your shell "this command is ..." and it will apply to all processes spawned by it
                  Last edited by pal666; 30 November 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by set135
                    No, this is not how things work. The page cache works two ways, if you start writing to a file, unless you are doing a synchronous operation it goes into memory, then if either time passes, or you start to run low, or execute a 'sync', it automaticly gets flushed to underlying storage. The other use is when you read any file, it stores that data in the cache, so that if you want to read it again-- perhaps many times, it does not happen at the glacial speed of disk. As time goes on, pages are aged can be dropped in favor of more recent 'hot' data being read. Either way, if something needs system memory, the kernel will start flushing buffered writes, or just drop as much buffered reads as required. There are also caches for other things like dentries, but generally unless some settings have been made pathological, manual flushing of caches is mostly only useful for things like benchmarks or diagnosing memory leaks.
                    That is what is the default documented behaviour, at least that I know off..
                    But According to it, this can't happen:
                    Code:
                    $ free -m
                    total used free shared buff/cache available
                    Mem: 15000 1887 274 181 12839 12606
                    Swap: 2047 1 2046
                    But this does happen, I just reproduced it..as you can see it is already swapping pages..

Now, system memory can get used up, and this is generally from misbehaving applications allocating too much, and not freeing it, so thrashing can certainly occur. Sometimes, when people get excited about their memory being used, though, they are looking at something like 'free' and and seeing that it all seems to have been used up, not realizing that the caches will be flushed or dropped as required.
                    That's my point, it should be dropped as required, but it seems that in the between machine starts trashing first..
                    see above example.

ho no, I am not allocating too much..
                    Code:
                    find / -type f -exec dd if={} of=/dev/null bs=1M 1>/dev/null 2>&1 \;
                    I have moderately large storage (16TB) that I regularly back-up, and constantly read and write large files to, and my buff/cache stats quickly fill up my 32GB ram, as I run 24/7 for months at a time, and I never see thrashing unless one of my damn web browsers (or something) starts pigging up all the available memory.
                    Interesting.. in this case I am doing a 12TB read..

I can show you another example:
                    Code:
                    # free -m
                    total used free shared buff/cache available
                    Mem: 2018 246 51 4 1720 1705
                    Swap: 1009 51 958
                    By the default behaviour that we know off, this can't happen.. the problem is, it does happen!
                    And the thing is...
                    At this point, I rather prefer to read from disk directly, with no cache,
                    Than having pages swapping in and out, because as it seems, my "precious" caches are more precious than trashing....so lets continue trashing... prevent at all cost dropping the caches..
                    Last edited by tuxd3v; 30 November 2021, 06:59 PM. Reason: it pushes a [/QUOTE] to the end of the string.. you end up with 2 [/QUOTES].. :S

Comment

Putting some memory into swap isn't thrashing. If you want it to avoid this until the last moment then you need to set swappiness lower.

I also suggest install zram.

Comment

Working...
                      X