Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook/Meta Tackling Transparent Page Placement For Tiered-Memory Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonix View Post
    In the Meta/Facebook case Facebook is the product Meta is the company (they may have a "Facebook" company, but that would be just for tax reasons).
    They probably do have a separate Facebook company, not least since Meta is described as the "parent company". Most likely, there are multiple corporate entities representing Facebook, in different countries. Multinational corporations are such a shell game of not just finances but also liability.

Originally posted by jonix View Post
    I believe that proper credit would be to use just "Facebook" when talking about the product (the social network) and use just "Meta" when talking about the company. In this specific case I would use just "Meta", because the employees who made the contribution are associate with the company even when they are working on the product.
    I'd have said "Facebook", since they're using facebook email addresses and it's most likely being done for the benefit of Facebook infrastructure. However, the patch specifically references "Meta". That's the tricky part.

I guess Linux Foundation should have a legal agreement on file for them, which should specify their employer. I don't know if those are publicly available, but that would be a way to settle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      Google tried to rename themselves Alphabet. Facebook tried to rename themselves Meta.
      We see it for what it is, and attempt to escape their sins, and sweep it aside.

Google is still Google.
      Facebook is still Facebook.
      I always just too Meta & Alphabet to be a move to confuse politicians. The same thing with Monsanto becoming "Bear" -- they might as well just rotate their name every 6 months to avoid Litigation and Anti Trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
        Google tried to rename themselves Alphabet. Facebook tried to rename themselves Meta.
        We see it for what it is, and attempt to escape their sins, and sweep it aside.

Google is still Google.
        Facebook is still Facebook.
        Google did not really renamed itself, the company is still there, it just spawned some of the projects it worked on onto other companies, that are like itself under Alphabet. It's a bit different from Facebook which wants to do everything under 1 company, which does not need to be named after of one of its products.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Good idea. I wonder if this means better swap experience.
          No, swap pages are already reclaimed when they get hot. simply because the cpu can't access them directly.

tired storage can be accessed directly BUT it is slower. think of it as ram sticks with different speeds. primarly for cost effeciency

Comment

Working...
          X