PAPPL 1.1 Nears Release As Modern Open-Source Printer Application Framework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAPPL 1.1 Nears Release As Modern Open-Source Printer Application Framework

Phoronix: PAPPL 1.1 Nears Release As Modern Open-Source Printer Application Framework

While OpenPrinting is now leading development of the CUPS print server, PAPPL continues to be developed by CUPS founder Michael Sweet as a modern open-source printer application framework. PAPPL 1.1 as a big feature release is on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now I'm no design expert, but a multiview orthographic projection of a printer in a puzzle piece shape as a logo leaves me... puzzled

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
      Now I'm no design expert, but a multiview orthographic projection of a printer in a puzzle piece shape as a logo leaves me... puzzled
      Especially when the top left one looks like a DSLR or old school Polaroid, the bottom left looks like my stove during last week's remodeling when a cabinet was leaning on it, which leaves us with the top right which looks like my clothes washer with the dryer ducts being routed around back.

If that logo was for the Household Appliance Framework I'd totally get it.

Comment

Well I'm no graphic designer, but the point is for the logo to look like an engineering drawing (of a printer)... I use the puzzle piece shape for all of my library projects since they are pieces that can be put together to make an application... If you have a better idea for a project logo, feel free to contribute or suggest it!

Comment

Only the top left icon looks has some semblance to a printer.

Top right looks like a pill bottle with its lid opened and bottom left looks like a a side view of an old Chinese charcoal stove.

Comment

Originally posted by printman View Post

Well I'm no graphic designer, but the point is for the logo to look like an engineering drawing (of a printer)... I use the puzzle piece shape for all of my library projects since they are pieces that can be put together to make an application... If you have a better idea for a project logo, feel free to contribute or suggest it!
            Now I understand the problem: CUPS is the de-facto stardard for printing on Linux, e.g. something being used by millions of people, PAPPL is willing to replace CUPS and PAPPL is a one man project, maybe like CUPS, but wihtout Apple Inc. support. You definitely need help.

I was taking for granted PAPPL was being developed by a team with various skills, graphic design included.

I'll ask a friend of mine who actually is a graphic designer if she can help, maybe she'll come up with something better. Stay tuned.

Comment

Now I understand the problem: CUPS is the de-facto stardard for printing on Linux, e.g. something being used by millions of people, PAPPL is willing to replace CUPS and PAPPL is a one man project, maybe like CUPS, but wihtout Apple Inc. support. You definitely need help.
              PAPPL is not replacing CUPS, it's part of the rearchitecting of the printing stack. See page 18-24 in https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/liaison/...y-may-2021.pdf . PAPPL is a framework for creating the "printer application" boxes in that diagram on page 19.

(And as you also can read in that presentation, Apple isn't really involved in CUPS anymore.)

The person developing PAPPL is also the main developer of CUPS.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
                PAPPL is not replacing CUPS, it's part of the rearchitecting of the printing stack.
                I got it wrong, thanks.

Apple isn't really involved in CUPS anymore
                I know, but it was, and that made a great difference back then: today CUPS could even rest on its laurels (I'm not suggesting it does).

The person developing PAPPL is also the main developer of CUPS.
                I know that too, and he is printman from comment #4 here above. At any rate, now that I realize PAPPL is not going to replace CUPS, the logo becomes much less of a problem and being a one man project is not that scary anymore.

For the record, CUPS logo never met my taste either, though I do like watermelons.

Comment

Working...
                X