Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Box86 + Box64 Updated For Running Linux x86/x86_64 Programs On Other Architectures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box86 + Box64 Updated For Running Linux x86/x86_64 Programs On Other Architectures

Phoronix: Box86 + Box64 Updated For Running Linux x86/x86_64 Programs On Other Architectures

Box86 as the open-source project to run Linux x86 binaries on other CPU architectures like ARM is out with a new feature release along with the accompanying Box64 project for x86_64 treatment. With today's Box86 update is even expanded Vulkan support now good enough for handling DXVK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great. It's surprising to see that in just one year it is able to run plenty of x86 apps already.

Comment

Also worth noting is that the Box86 developer also made gl4es, which is pretty handy to run old game ports on OpenGL ES and WebGL.

Comment

It'd be nice to have an easy way of installing it on 64-bit OSes, I can't get my head around chroot. If only there was a Ubuntu/Debian ppa.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          Also worth noting is that the Box86 developer also made gl4es, which is pretty handy to run old game ports on OpenGL ES and WebGL.
          Yeah. The community for the OpenPandora handheld attracted some insane geniuses. See also Notaz, who did the version of SDL it uses that offloads to the GPU's hardware overlay for 2D scaling and wrote a human-assisted static recompiler to port Starcraft.

Comment

It's gonna be awesome once it's mature on all these architectures. QEMU is so flexible, but sooooo slooooow.

This sort of thing is the last big piece before we can have ARM, and then RISC-V workstations without interrupting our workflows.

Comment

Nice. I've been using Box64 (and before that, box86) to play FTL on my Pinephone and Raspberry Pi for a while. Having dxvk available when the Pinephone Pro ships will be nice, as the Pro should be able to do Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
                It'd be nice to have an easy way of installing it on 64-bit OSes, I can't get my head around chroot. If only there was a Ubuntu/Debian ppa.
                Play around with installing Arch in a VM or something. Installing Arch is a great intermediate bootcamp for learning more Linux. Just set aside an hour or three!

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
                  You only need a chroot if you're trying to run Box86 on a 64-bit OS. Can't you just use Box64 instead?

Comment

The problem is that box64 only works for 64-bit applications, so if you need to run 32-bit applications like through WINE, you need a box86 install.

Comment

Working...
                    X