Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat's Stratis Storage 3.0 Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: Red Hat's Stratis Storage 3.0 Released With Many Improvements

For over four years now Red Hat has been working on Stratis as their new Linux storage solution. As an alternative to shifting to newer file-systems like Btrfs or the controversial OpenZFS, Stratis has been about offering similar advanced Linux storage features while building atop LVM, DeviceMapper and XFS all while using the modern Rust programming language. Stratis Storage 3.0 is now available as the latest work on this front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still can't believe they think they'll end up with something comparable to ZFS or Btrfs by going that route.

Comment

I believe this is the first time that a technology proposed by RH is not gaining market share and being adopted by other distros.
      And the reason is that it is awful and useless.

Comment

The good news is their web site no loner carries the massage that you would have to be out of your mind to use it. The bad news is how long they are taking to write a script that really just hides most of the functionality of LVM. It's not like they are adding any functionality that isn't already there like say a RAID 6 that can repair it's self. If they do that they would get my full attention.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
          I believe this is the first time that a technology proposed by RH is not gaining market share and being adopted by other distros.
          It does feel like there is a cultural and/or structural inability to develop an integrated storage solution that doesn't suck.

Comment

The thing is, ZFS found out one of my NAS drives made several catastrophic writes. Who knows if it was bumped or had bit flips or some odd hardware issue. Those issues were repaired during the scrub using parity data and a second scrub showed no more problems.

I love ZFS because it DOESN'T believe in the reliability of your hardware. It was built to be skeptical of everything. If Stratis can build in that working model, I'd love to try it out.

The first part of Stratis that I love is that it breaks each layer down rather than combining them. The second part to love is that it uses kernel features.
            Last edited by Mitch; 16 November 2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Not 100 percent right. arch has picked up stratis. Big barrier is debian has not picked stratis up. Debian does have quite a large market share effect.

Comment

You certainly have cogent reasons to think so. Care to share them?

Comment

a better strat from redhat would be to throw some money at the ubuntu guys and have them massage it into a shiny new ubuntu feature.

Comment

for more than four years rh is papering over lack of btrfs devs with scripts

Comment

Working...
                    X