Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "MGLRU" Code Updated For More Performant Linux Page Reclamation

Phoronix: "MGLRU" Code Updated For More Performant Linux Page Reclamation

While not coming as part of the new 5.16 cycle, one of the exciting patch series to come about this year has been Google's work on the Multigenerational LRU (MGLRU) Framework for improving performance around the kernel's page reclaim handling...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes!!! I can not wait when it gets merged into mainline, using this patch already from kernel 5.11 I think and it works sooooooo welllllllllll!!!

Comment

I'm guessing this is only a benefit under memory pressure

Comment

As cool as this is, I don't think it will affect me much as I have enough RAM on my laptop and desktop

It will be neat on my raspberry pi 2 though. That one is running close to the edge all the time.

Comment

Is it as simple as applying the patch, or it needs a new kernel param to be specified?

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
            Is it as simple as applying the patch, or it needs a new kernel param to be specified?
            If you set `CONFIG_LRU_GEN_ENABLED=y` in you kernel config it will be enabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
              Yes!!! I can not wait when it gets merged into mainline, using this patch already from kernel 5.11 I think and it works sooooooo welllllllllll!!!
              Just curious, how have you noticed that it works "soooooo welllllllllll!!!" ?

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Just curious, how have you noticed that it works "soooooo welllllllllll!!!" ?
                Just run any heavy workload with exceeds you system memory and the system is starting to use SWAP, default Linux behavior without the LRU GEN patches is really bad, the system becomes most of the time not usable.
                With LRU patches I often even not notice that I am running on SWAP.
                And before you any one says, "get more RAM" my system has 24GB RAM and it still can happen that that I run out of it. And on 8GB RAM machines for any work this is a must have.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

If you set `CONFIG_LRU_GEN_ENABLED=y` in you kernel config it will be enabled by default.
                  $ zgrep -i 'lru' /proc/config.gz
                  CONFIG_LRU_GEN=y
                  # CONFIG_LRU_GEN_ENABLED is not set
                  # CONFIG_LRU_GEN_STATS is not set
                  CONFIG_NR_LRU_GENS=7
                  CONFIG_LRU_CACHE=m

The multigen lru patches are provided by lucjan-patches on github if anyone needs. (My kernel build script also if anyone is ambitious).

fyi: I leave CONFIG_LRU_GEN_ENABLED set to off so it's not turned on by default, but can be turned at runtime. Win/Win.

Comment

OMGLRU so exciting!

This sounds like it could bring the Linux page cache up to the level of efficiency of ZFS's ARC. I wonder if the OpenZFS people will be willing to switch to Linux's native caching on newer kernels, to avoid the weird reserved RAM thing?

Comment

Working...
                    X