Modernized Zstd Merged Into Linux 5.16 For Much Greater Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modernized Zstd Merged Into Linux 5.16 For Much Greater Performance

Phoronix: Modernized Zstd Merged Into Linux 5.16 For Much Greater Performance

While Zstd is used in various areas of the Linux kernel for data compression from transparent file-system compression with the likes of Btrfs to allowing kernel modules be compressed with this Zstandard algorithm, the in-kernel code had fallen years outdated. Finally with Linux 5.16 that Zstd in-kernel implementation is now being brought up to modern standards and delivering better performance too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Faster! Faster! Faster would be better!"

Comment

Not bad, can't wait for 1.5.1!

Comment

This will be a nice speed boost on my craptastic laptop

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          This will be a nice speed boost on my craptastic laptop
          I recently replaced an SSD with a newer SSD on my 10 year old notebook (MBP 2010) and I was surprised how much faster it was. I originally thought the bottleneck was with the 2c/4t processor, but the SSD tech has apparently gotten much better. (For reference, it was a 128GB Samsung PM830 to a 2TB WD Blue. Granted, the original SSD was very old, but the point still stands. There's really no reason for your computer to be running slow. Lots of options, even if you didn't want to spend a penny.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I recently replaced an SSD with a newer SSD on my 10 year old notebook (MBP 2010) and I was surprised how much faster it was. I originally thought the bottleneck was with the 2c/4t processor, but the SSD tech has apparently gotten much better. (For reference, it was a 128GB Samsung PM830 to a 2TB WD Blue. Granted, the original SSD was very old, but the point still stands. There's really no reason for your computer to be running slow. Lots of options, even if you didn't want to spend a penny.
            Unfortunately I have a dualcore celeron with 4gb soldered ram, eMMC storage, and a non wired up m.2 slot for my laptop. and I can't buy any new laptop either. this one has literally no upgrade path. as Even the SD card slot hasn't worked since kernel 4.9 Not 4.19.

zRam is pretty much in necessity to have any more than a few web pages open. and with only 64gb of onboard storage. compression is needed too, so I can just barely get enough room to store what I need. and even used laptops are far to expensive around me (200 dollars for a quad core athlon from 2010! Seriously!)

but It is at least seriously energy efficient. both in charging and battery life

Comment

Unfortunately I have a dualcore celeron with 4gb soldered ram, eMMC storage, and a non wired up m.2 slot for my laptop. and I can't buy any new laptop either. this one has literally no upgrade path. as Even the SD card slot hasn't worked since kernel 4.9 Not 4.19.

zRam is pretty much in necessity to have any more than a few web pages open. and with only 64gb of onboard storage. compression is needed too, so I can just barely get enough room to store what I need. and even used laptops are far to expensive around me (200 dollars for a quad core athlon from 2010! Seriously!)

but It is at least seriously energy efficient. both in charging and battery life
              Take a look into preload also, and powertop (sudo powertop --autotune), along with BFQ. Should help. But that's just a few things, and it sounds like you know your way around. All I'm saying is, the little "tweaks" add up in terms of performance day-to-day

Comment

Which laptop is that if I may ask?

Comment

On eBay there are laptops for under $200 which are way higher spec than your current laptop. You should be able to get 8gb ram, at least a 256gb SSD and a much better processor for that amount.

Comment

Finally!!!
                    Using BTRFS with compression to save as much space as possible will be helped a lot by this, especially since laptop CPUs are weaker.
                    Hopefully these improvements will continue in the next kernel versions until this compression algorithm in the kernel is up to date with the upstream.

Comment

Working...
                    X