Xen With Linux 5.16 Will Allow For Faster Booting Of Guests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linner View Post
    I honestly thought this project was dead. Who still uses Xen and why?
    Qubes OS still uses Xen, and it's one of the best options for personal usage if you care about security, it makes using multiple VMs a breeze.

Comment

Xapi is just a programmatic API to drive XenServer - similar to, but inferior to, libvirt. XenOrchestra is just a web based wrapper GUI for xapi. It’s ok, but I wouldn’t describe it as enterprise ready without the closed source parts.

If you want OpenSource stuff libvirt supports multiple backends, and ovirt is far more mature as a Cloud management GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Would Proxmox fit your requirements as a QEMU-based holistic alternative? It's free (with a nag message in the web GUI), open-source and has paid support. Together with their awesome Backup Server it rivals (and sometimes exceeds) the features of VMware, at least for my use cases.

(yes, I am doing free advertisement since it's an awesome and stable project)
        I did look at Proxmox briefly, but opted to go with xcp-ng instead since it was a better migration path from old Xenserver installations.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
          Xapi is just a programmatic API to drive XenServer - similar to, but inferior to, libvirt. XenOrchestra is just a web based wrapper GUI for xapi. It’s ok, but I wouldn’t describe it as enterprise ready without the closed source parts.

If you want OpenSource stuff libvirt supports multiple backends, and ovirt is far more mature as a Cloud management GUI.
          What closed sourced parts are you referring too?

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

What closed sourced parts are you referring too?
            Maybe it's about the paid parts? I had a look at them and wow... those prices are quite high. Makes me appreciate Proxmox even more :P

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

Because of Xenserver and now the XCP-ng alternative. They are good good for businesses because it's a holistic environment with management tools and support for them. It also includes tested and certified hardware.

Libvirt/qemu is of course an alternative, but it isn't packaged anywhere near as coherently as XCP-ng or Xenserver.

https://xen-orchestra.com/ (management of XCP-ng and Xenserver)
              Umm.
              RHEV (RHEL license) / oVirt (free)?
              Based on libvirt, can handle anything from a low end laptop running ~10VMs up to large glusterfs / CIFS based clusters with PB of storage / memory running 1000s of VMs. (I'm currently typing this on a VM workstation w/ GPU passthough running on a 3 machine cluster).
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X