Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xen With Linux 5.16 Will Allow For Faster Booting Of Guests

Phoronix: Xen With Linux 5.16 Will Allow For Faster Booting Of Guests

Xen para-virtualized guests booting on the Linux 5.16 kernel should see noticeably quicker boot times...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great for the three people that still use Xen.

Comment

I honestly thought this project was dead. Who still uses Xen and why?

Comment

I'm the Xen LiveCD v2.0 author. Yeah, I used to love Xen! Now I see no reason to use it at all.
        Is it still relevant these days?! I've heard that Ubuntu dropped it, but Debian still has it.

Comment

> Sent out today were the Xen patches for Linux 5.16. Besides having some code lcean-ups,

Typo “lcean-ups”, should be “clean-ups”

Comment

Probably Xen is not so common anymore but those who are still using it are probably big paying customers who have bought long term support, and hence the continued developement.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
              I honestly thought this project was dead. Who still uses Xen and why?
              Because of Xenserver and now the XCP-ng alternative. They are good good for businesses because it's a holistic environment with management tools and support for them. It also includes tested and certified hardware.

Libvirt/qemu is of course an alternative, but it isn't packaged anywhere near as coherently as XCP-ng or Xenserver.

https://xen-orchestra.com/ (management of XCP-ng and Xenserver)
              Last edited by S.Pam; 10 November 2021, 01:57 AM.

Comment

The “holistic management tools” are all closed source though. They are also mostly not maintained these days...

I think Amazon AWS is keeping Xen on life support, but you would be nuts to not just use KVM or VMWare (if you just can’t resist the urge to pay money).

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  The “holistic management tools” are all closed source though. They are also mostly not maintained these days...

I think Amazon AWS is keeping Xen on life support, but you would be nuts to not just use KVM or VMWare (if you just can’t resist the urge to pay money).
                  Xen Orchestra and XCP-ng center is open source. They make money through support contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

Because of Xenserver and now the XCP-ng alternative. They are good good for businesses because it's a holistic environment with management tools and support for them. It also includes tested and certified hardware.

Libvirt/qemu is of course an alternative, but it isn't packaged anywhere near as coherently as XCP-ng or Xenserver.

https://xen-orchestra.com/ (management of XCP-ng and Xenserver)
                    Would Proxmox fit your requirements as a QEMU-based holistic alternative? It's free (with a nag message in the web GUI), open-source and has paid support. Together with their awesome Backup Server it rivals (and sometimes exceeds) the features of VMware, at least for my use cases.

(yes, I am doing free advertisement since it's an awesome and stable project)

Comment

Working...
                    X