X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

So even if its is not an given fact - cui bono?. How does Microsoft profit by appealing to linux users? I have never heard of any large US Company at the stockmarket that has ever done something just pro bono at this large scale?
    So are you saying that anyone who is not a nonprofit charity should be banned from open source? RedHat like Microsoft invest in FOSS because it makes them money. I think it's fantastic, and am very happy about that rather than seeing them investing the same efforts in proprietary software instead.

Intel, AMD & co invest in Linux because better Linux support = better processor sales. Google & Facebook invest in FOSS because they need to tailor it to their specific requirements and the resulting tech benefits everyone (cgroups, btrfs etc)

This is how open source was always intended to work

CEO to the shareholders : you know what!? we have hired 100s of Linux Developers to write Linux compatible Code ...costs X Millions yearly isn't it great?
    Shareholders: ...and how is this going to make me more rich?
    CEO : Linux is for the people - for everyone - cant you feel this warm sensation in your breast when you have done something just without ulterior motive?
    Shareholders: Yes it was a heartattack....I should have bought Apple and Google shares instead
    In reality:

CEO to shareholders: we have hired Linux developers. Costs X.

Shareholders: How is that going to make me rich?

CEO: we need an uber scalable platform to run our new uber data center. No existing products does what we need. We can do it with Linux for X amount of money, or we could build one from scratch for N*X.

Shareholders: but what's the ulterior motive?

CEO: the same as RedHat's: to make money.

Shareholders: cheers!

If Microsoft would really "luv" OpenSource they would provide Office for Linux, DirectX for Linux, NTFS native support on Linux, Support the Samba project ...etc.
    DirectX for Linux already exists. Microsoft cooperates and helps the Samba project already. They haven't provided NTFS but they released the patents for ExFAT. Office is not impossible eventually (although personally I couldn't care less, I only use word processors and as a word processing LO Writer is superior to Word), in the meantime they released Edge. Oh and they contribute to Linux, to Rust, they released VS Code etc.
    Last edited by jacob; 04 November 2021, 05:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Jesus christ! It is inevitable that in the future the Linux ecosystem will heavily rely on microsoft stuff to an extent where there is no way around it. Maybe not necessarily for nerds in some basement but for the value-adding sector. It is obvious that this is the point of doing all that in the first place and why would you welcome that....

Embrace, Extend, Completely-Fucked-Up
    If the Microsoft stuff along with the Google stuff etc. is fully open source, and it is, and if it allows people to use open source in the value add sector and not just as a toy for nerds in their parents' basement, then why wouldn't you welcome that?

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by cynic View Post

how is it a superstition?
    It is a known strategy that MS and other have used several times in the past and that it seems they're using again.

It's just facts observation
    They've used in the past but nothing suggests that they are at it again. Microsoft has been active in the FOSS ecosystem for some 15 years now, including in Linux kernel development, and not EEE has been happening.

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    There has been a lot if Microsoft news on Phoronix in the last week or two and the EEE crowd has been silent.

It wasn't long ago that Microsoft news produced dozens of replies of a particular nature.
    Then allow me....

The so called EEE crowd has already been embraced and has become lazy with the availability of everything in a few mouseclicks by the corporate world. Now that they are caught in a comfortable web of lies they are extended into a pulsating roaring mass, wanting more and more, blindly accepting the drawbacks drowning every single bit of creativity in a mindless, pointless world infected by "normals". It would be no surprise that any individuality is extinguished by adverts, the need to conform to the masses, the desperation for likes and acceptance by doing what everyone else does. Gone are the days of individuality, creativity and actually making something by oneself now that everything is a link to some service elsewhere which for some reason got the cloud label on it.

Just maybe , maybe someday when a certain service change their dns name - just maybe million of websites will break, gazillion of links will become useless and perhaps a small group of individualists will remain - hosting their own website , on their own computer, with their own drawings, with their own music, with their own programs, with their own framework..... like I do, and have done for years

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    The EEE crowd's is enjoying WSL 2 too much to rant about MS xD

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    My issue here isn't Microsoft per say, it is that Windows based management software never works well with Linux. A bunch of corporate security incompetents who have no clue how a computer works but have a certificate will read a press release and force oddles of Sysadmins to adopt this and then they will lose years of their lives trying to make the software do what the press release said it could.

As for MS adopting Linux it is because they have no other choice. If you can't control the back end and they don't you can't control the front end. Your ether on the bus or under it. The OS isn't where the money is it is the applications. They no longer care where it runs as long as they get a taste.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

"It is a known strategy that MS... ...used several times in the past" - This is a conclusion based on historically exposed facts but is not in itself a fact. Conclusions are opinions. "...it seems they're using again." -This is opinion based on no given facts.

"It's just facts observation"
    You're either confusing the two or you have really poor grammar. I get really tired of people expressing their opinions as if they're the god's revealed order of the universe facts.
    sorry for my really poor grammar. I'll try to improve the level of the four languages I speak so that you won't complain anymore.
    grammar aside, I exposed my opinion as you exposed yours.

I don't see why expressing my idea is "god's revealed order of the universe facts" while you expressing yours is not.

Leave a comment:

• SWY1985
    replied
    @CochainComplex
    Microsoft profits because they can integrate this into one of their Azure dashboards. Their Azure services are the prime business right now, and most of these services run on Linux.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    While I'm sure this is useful to some of us, personally, I'd rather get native Linux support for their Flight Simulator. All the backend stuff they've been doing is neat but I'd be interested in seeing more of Microsoft's graphical programs, games, Xbox services, etc on Linux.
    But this are the topics where they can not profit from Linux "support".

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

"It is a known strategy that MS... ...used several times in the past" - This is a conclusion based on historically exposed facts but is not in itself a fact. Conclusions are opinions. "...it seems they're using again." -This is opinion based on no given facts.

"It's just facts observation"
    You're either confusing the two or you have really poor grammar. I get really tired of people expressing their opinions as if they're the god's revealed order of the universe facts.
    So even if its is not an given fact - cui bono?. How does Microsoft profit by appealing to linux users? I have never heard of any large US Company at the stockmarket that has ever done something just pro bono at this large scale?

CEO to the shareholders : you know what!? we have hired 100s of Linux Developers to write Linux compatible Code ...costs X Millions yearly isn't it great?
    Shareholders: ...and how is this going to make me more rich?
    CEO : Linux is for the people - for everyone - cant you feel this warm sensation in your breast when you have done something just without ulterior motive?
    Shareholders: Yes it was a heartattack....I should have bought Apple and Google shares instead

If Microsoft would really "luv" OpenSource they would provide Office for Linux, DirectX for Linux, NTFS native support on Linux, Support the Samba project ...etc.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 04 November 2021, 01:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X