Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWUPD 1.7.1 Adds Support For Firmware Updates On More Devices

Phoronix: FWUPD 1.7.1 Adds Support For Firmware Updates On More Devices

FWUPD 1.7.1 is out today as the newest release of this leading open-source solution for allowing firmware updates from UEFI motherboards to various peripherals under Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is "Dell Atomic Dock"? Can't find anything about it.

Comment

fwupd and LVFS are amazing!

I just wish consumer desktop motherboards had support for it. Like Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar, etc.

Comment

Are there any shortcomings about fwupd that cause small amount of motherboards to be available? Is it too fresh?
        Last edited by mcqigo; 01 November 2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Still waiting for Razer Blade to support FWUPD

Comment

Still waiting for my Lenovo ThinkPad to support FWUPD.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Still waiting for my Lenovo ThinkPad to support FWUPD.
              I update my ThinkPad with fwupd for years

Comment

Originally posted by mcqigo View Post
                Are there any shortcomings about fwupd that cause small amount of motherboards to be available? Is it too fresh?
                I assume it has more to do with the OEM caring than a lack of capability in fwupd/LVFS. Your average consumer focused OEM (Asus, Gigabyte, etc.) probably doesn't see a lot of upside, and a vanishingly small % of their buyers use Linux vs. Windows. OEMs that are more business focused, and here specifically engineering machines within that bussiness, are more inclined to make managing their machines easy with Linux. Dell has had good success with their Developer Edition XPS machines, and have gone back to old Skylake machines in terms of support for fwupd. Lenovo is broadening their support greatly.

tl;dr: The two big OEMs that sell laptops / workstations with Linux on them are the two that have a shit ton of firmware available on LVFS.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

tl;dr: The two big OEMs that sell laptops / workstations with Linux on them are the two that have a shit ton of firmware available on LVFS.
                  Yes, if you want to LVFS support, a) ask the vendors to support it b) buy from vendors who do support it

Comment

Originally posted by woprandi View Post

I update my ThinkPad with fwupd for years
                    I envy you.

Comment

Working...
                    X