Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.15 Is This Year's LTS Kernel

Phoronix: Linux 5.15 Is This Year's LTS Kernel

As we approach the end of the calendar year there was some uncertainty whether Linux 5.15 would be this year's Long-Term Support (LTS) kernel or if it would be Linux 5.16 albeit not likely releasing until the start of 2022.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shit. Ubuntu will probably use this instead of the newer 5.16 on next year LTS.

Comment

I´ll miss FUTEX2 and ZSTD upgrades.

Comment

Sad. I think 5.16 would have been preferable since it will probably release around mid January. It would help with Ubuntu being an LTS version to "force" them to adapt 5.16, now i am afraid they are going to stick with 5.15. I am not using the Ubuntu LTS but many others do and many closed source programmers use it as a target and thus the more modern the software it gets the better for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Shit. Ubuntu will probably use this instead of the newer 5.16 on next year LTS.
          Ubuntu's schedule was such that 5.15 was likely the last possible choice for them anyway (Feb. is their (mostly) hard freeze on software versions, and for the kernel they have tended to choose a longer lead time due to wanting to make sure it is solid).

Those who want more recent kernels then shipped with the LTS release can always install the various HWE kernels.

Comment

While it's sad Ubuntu most likely won't get 5.16 it's not unexpected... Are there any good server grade changes that will impact the kernel much in 5.16 I think The big reason people want 5.16 in LTS is because It has some large changes for the gaming community...
            Ubuntu will always be my business grade desktop and server OS but for games I use other rolling distros for the more modern kernel and have been a happy camper since

Comment

Just to be sure, the 5.15 version is the version where the "Werror" flag is enabled by default, right?

Edit: Will this make things more cool if Fedora 35 recieve this update? Will I see less error logs!
              Last edited by pranav; 01 November 2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
                While it's sad Ubuntu most likely won't get 5.16 it's not unexpected... Are there any good server grade changes that will impact the kernel much in 5.16 I think The big reason people want 5.16 in LTS is because It has some large changes for the gaming community...
                Ubuntu will always be my business grade desktop and server OS but for games I use other rolling distros for the more modern kernel and have been a happy camper since
                Are the gaming changes even going to be able to immediately useable without software upgrades?

Comment

I'm going to be contrarian here...

Missing 5.16 as the LTS kernel is not such a big deal really, unless you are using the kernel at a company with policies that force you to use LTS kernels and you really need one of the new features.

If you use Ubuntu LTS you can install the hwe (hardware enablement) kernel once 21.10 is released to get a newer kernel.

If you are really eager to have the latest and greatest you can build your own kernel (not that hard for a power user if you base it on the kernel config from your distro) or use a more bleeding edge distro.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
                    Just to be sure, the 5.15 version is the version where the "Werror" flag is enabled by default, right?

Edit: Will this make things more cool if Fedora 35 recieve this update? Will I see less error logs!
                    No they went back on it after backlash, the Werror flag is on for testing and not by default. It still might yield some positives results tho.
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                    X