Google Continues Work On User-Managed Concurrency Groups For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Continues Work On User-Managed Concurrency Groups For Linux

Phoronix: Google Continues Work On User-Managed Concurrency Groups For Linux

Earlier this year was news that Google is finally working to open-source their Fibers user-space scheduling framework. For the better part of the past decade they have been developing this user-space scheduling framework and finally now are working on offering public, open-source code intended for upstream around their work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cisco is a king of networking. Over the decades they have created an empire using plenty of proprietary stuff.

In a hypothetical world, if Cisco someday says, "We love Linux & OOS and FOSS" like Microsoft, what are the list of things they could do where we really start to believe it's true. What could Cisco do and still make a profit!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
        Cisco is a king of networking. Over the decades they have created an empire using plenty of proprietary stuff.

In a hypothetical world, if Cisco someday says, "We love Linux & OOS and FOSS" like Microsoft, what are the list of things they could do where we really start to believe it's true. What could Cisco do and still make a profit!
        They could start with supporting projects like https://www.openswitch.net/ orhttps://azure.github.io/SONiC/ on their devices.

Edit: Well, apparently they do, at least for some, but still not as default.
        Last edited by numacross; 24 October 2021, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post

Completely off topic, but ok I guess?

Comment

Who would use this? What would use this?

Is this something used by Go? Is this for projects like Python and Ruby as an alternative to global interpreter lock (GIL) ?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Who would use this? What would use this?
              One use case seems to be I/O multiplexing, where you're managing a large number of I/O tasks, without having to create full userspace threads for each one.

I'm also wondering if it could be useful in work-stealing scenarios.

Is this something used by Go?
              It's likely to be at least as useful for it as C/C++. There certainly could be language features or libraries in Go that would benefit quite significantly.

Is this for projects like Python and Ruby as an alternative to global interpreter lock (GIL) ?
              Doesn't sound like it, but I don't really know enough of about either to say with much confidence.

Comment

Working...
              X