AV1 Codec Library libaom v3.2 Brings More Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AV1 Codec Library libaom v3.2 Brings More Performance Optimizations

Phoronix: AV1 Codec Library libaom v3.2 Brings More Performance Optimizations

Libaom 3.2 is now available as the latest version of the official AOMedia/Google-developed AV1 Codec Library. With libaom 3.2 comes compression efficiency improvements, perceptual quality improvements, and a variety of speed-ups and memory optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is nice to see them making performance gains. But my concern is the quality.I find I need larger AV1 files to get the same quality as x264. I have seen well encoded AV1 on YT but I an=m not sure how they are achieving it.

Comment

Have they figured out film grain synthesis yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
        .I find I need larger AV1 files to get the same quality as x264.
        As h264, not even h265, wtf?

Comment

I find I need larger AV1 files to get the same quality as x264.
          That makes absolutely no sense compared to even HEVC never mind H.264. Doing something very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
            That makes absolutely no sense compared to even HEVC never mind H.264. Doing something very wrong.
            not necessarily. the next gen codec implementations not being as good as x264 much less better was entirely expected. it is kinda disappointing though if its taking this long to get the new codecs implementations on par.

Comment

What I think is that its more than time for AMD to start decoders for vp9 and av1, on amdgpu..
              NVidea already do that, I believe..

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post

not necessarily. the next gen codec implementations not being as good as x264 much less better was entirely expected. it is kinda disappointing though if its taking this long to get the new codecs implementations on par.
                The only people that expect such a thing are those that do not understand video encoding or the evolution of AV1.

Comment

It is nice to see them making performance gains. But my concern is the quality.I find I need larger AV1 files to get the same quality as x264. I have seen well encoded AV1 on YT but I an=m not sure how they are achieving it.
                  You are doing something very wrong, x265 and vp9 have both been proven much better than x264 and vp9 has been shown to be superior than x265 at resolutions above 1080p.

Since AV1 is the continuation of vp10, which was supposed to replace vp9m there is no way that you "need larger AV1 files to get the same quality as x264".

Comment

Michael

Either the graphs are mislabeled or something is very wrong with the test systems, specifically the EPYC one. According to your graphs, a Ryzen 9 5900X (12C/24T) beats an Epyc 7742 (64C/128T) by 40% to 100%!

I'm sorry but these results can not be trusted, AV1 scales very well, there has to be some misconfiguration in the EPYC system.

Comment

Working...
                    X