Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Zstd Planned For Linux 5.16 With Better Performance

Phoronix: Updated Zstd Planned For Linux 5.16 With Better Performance

As reported on last week, an updated Zstd implementation for the Linux kernel is being re-attempted by Zstd developer Nick Terrell at Facebook. Today he sent out the latest Zstd kernel patches to provide a much newer version of the code compared to what is currently mainlined and will provide much better performance and numerous fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think these are the new zstd-upstream patches-v4 that lucjan added if any needs. (edit: fixed updated link)
    Last edited by perpetually high; 05 October 2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Now we need benchmarks

Comment

Fingers crossed. zstd has been a game changer for me personally, and would love to see it get better

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          Fingers crossed. zstd has been a game changer for me personally, and would love to see it get better
          Would you expand on that? I'm using lz4 but I was wondering your uses cases or where you saw major improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Would you expand on that? I'm using lz4 but I was wondering your uses cases or where you saw major improvements.
            Forgive my brevity, am on mobile and little sleep. I use zstd for both zram and storage compression on a 64gb 4gb ram dualcore celeron.

lz4 while faster has lower compression ratio. almost a difference of 2.1x in lz4, and 2.8x on zstd, while it sounds small, when you need as much space as you can get, it makes a difference.

for me, zstd enabled me to once again use the device for daily usage, webbrowsing, typing and music simultaneously. as now even basic research can saturate low ram.

Comment

It's always easy to get 10-20% more out of a compressor. If you let it use double the RAM. I hope that's now what we're looking at here.

Comment

I hope that it will overtake lzo in terms of speed.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  It's always easy to get 10-20% more out of a compressor. If you let it use double the RAM. I hope that's now what we're looking at here.
                  Did you mean "not"?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Did you mean "not"?
                    I don't know, for booting it may actually be a good thing. Say, computers ~15 years old already had 1GB+ as a relatively common case. During boot I will only be decompressing the kernel and initramfs and freeing that memory afterwards. I'd be happy with using up to 512MB for that if it makes it much faster. For the zram case it would be problematic tho, if compressing a 4kB page takes up 1MB for example.

Comment

Working...
                    X