Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.15-rc4 Released - The Kernel Is Looking "Pretty Normal"

Phoronix: Linux 5.15-rc4 Released - The Kernel Is Looking "Pretty Normal"

Linus Torvalds has declared Linux 5.15-rc4 as the latest weekly release candidate of the maturing Linux 5.15 codebase...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lets hope 15 is better than 14 because some time ago they introduced changes in 14 that totally broke my laptop (it's definitely a regression because 14 used to work fine). I had to revert back to 5.10.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
      Lets hope 15 is better than 14 because some time ago they introduced changes in 14 that totally broke my laptop (it's definitely a regression because 14 used to work fine). I had to revert back to 5.10.
      Do you happen to use debian with AMD laptop?
      Kernel 5.14 wasn't working for me either (unless specifying mem_encrypt=no) , because of memory encryption. It was apparently fixed today. I'm waiting for the update with the fixed package...

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=994453
      https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team...85ec2544cfa42e
      Last edited by ivan.cwb; 04 October 2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post
        Do you happen to use debian with AMD laptop?
        Kernel 5.14 wasn't working for me either (unless specifying mem_encrypt=no) , because of memory encryption. It was apparently fixed today. I'm waiting for the updated of the fixed package...
        In my case it's an Intel machine running Arch Linux and I think it's something to do with power management. Doesn't surprise me to see issues with AMD though. I have kept my AMD machines on relatively stable older kernels like Ubuntu uses.

I should probably do a bug report but it's just so much work. I've done plenty in the past but if I reported bugs every time the latest kernel breaks something that would be a full time job. I usually wait for a point release or two and if the bug is still present then I'll report it.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post

In my case it's an Intel machine running Arch Linux and I think it's something to do with power management. Doesn't surprise me to see issues with AMD though. I have kept my AMD machines on relatively stable older kernels like Ubuntu uses.

I should probably do a bug report but it's just so much work. I've done plenty in the past but if I reported bugs every time the latest kernel breaks something that would be a full time job. I usually wait for a point release or two and if the bug is still present then I'll report it.
          Might be https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214503.

Comment

Debian Stable never made more sense

Comment

How many of these are going to look "pretty normal"? Reminds me of those jokes about news stories where they go "Absolutely nothing is happening right now"

Comment

Sleep/Wake is still broken on ZEN3 notebooks, as described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops/...en2_amd_linux/

This has not been reported to Kernel bugzilla to my knowledge.

Comment

5.15 is an awesome kernel, been running it daily with no hiccups.

Added the new -rt patch (as of today, 10/04/2021) and the new hwmon-patches provided by lucjan on the build script for all my ambitious, brave kernel compilers out there.

Comment

The above posts reminds me why I don't pursue bleeding edge software anymore, unless required.

LTS software makes more sense every day.

Comment

Working...
                    X