Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.15-rc4 Released - The Kernel Is Looking "Pretty Normal"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 5.15-rc4 Released - The Kernel Is Looking "Pretty Normal"

    Phoronix: Linux 5.15-rc4 Released - The Kernel Is Looking "Pretty Normal"

    Linus Torvalds has declared Linux 5.15-rc4 as the latest weekly release candidate of the maturing Linux 5.15 codebase...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Linux-5.15-rc4

  • #2
    Lets hope 15 is better than 14 because some time ago they introduced changes in 14 that totally broke my laptop (it's definitely a regression because 14 used to work fine). I had to revert back to 5.10.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by linner View Post
      Lets hope 15 is better than 14 because some time ago they introduced changes in 14 that totally broke my laptop (it's definitely a regression because 14 used to work fine). I had to revert back to 5.10.
      Do you happen to use debian with AMD laptop?
      Kernel 5.14 wasn't working for me either (unless specifying mem_encrypt=no) , because of memory encryption. It was apparently fixed today. I'm waiting for the update with the fixed package...

      https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=994453
      https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team...85ec2544cfa42e
      Last edited by ivan.cwb; 04 October 2021, 10:05 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post
        Do you happen to use debian with AMD laptop?
        Kernel 5.14 wasn't working for me either (unless specifying mem_encrypt=no) , because of memory encryption. It was apparently fixed today. I'm waiting for the updated of the fixed package...
        In my case it's an Intel machine running Arch Linux and I think it's something to do with power management. Doesn't surprise me to see issues with AMD though. I have kept my AMD machines on relatively stable older kernels like Ubuntu uses.

        I should probably do a bug report but it's just so much work. I've done plenty in the past but if I reported bugs every time the latest kernel breaks something that would be a full time job. I usually wait for a point release or two and if the bug is still present then I'll report it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by linner View Post

          In my case it's an Intel machine running Arch Linux and I think it's something to do with power management. Doesn't surprise me to see issues with AMD though. I have kept my AMD machines on relatively stable older kernels like Ubuntu uses.

          I should probably do a bug report but it's just so much work. I've done plenty in the past but if I reported bugs every time the latest kernel breaks something that would be a full time job. I usually wait for a point release or two and if the bug is still present then I'll report it.
          Might be https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214503.

          Comment


          • #6
            Debian Stable never made more sense

            Comment


            • #7
              How many of these are going to look "pretty normal"? Reminds me of those jokes about news stories where they go "Absolutely nothing is happening right now"

              Comment


              • #8
                Sleep/Wake is still broken on ZEN3 notebooks, as described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops/...en2_amd_linux/

                This has not been reported to Kernel bugzilla to my knowledge.

                Comment


                • #9
                  5.15 is an awesome kernel, been running it daily with no hiccups.

                  Added the new -rt patch (as of today, 10/04/2021) and the new hwmon-patches provided by lucjan on the build script for all my ambitious, brave kernel compilers out there.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The above posts reminds me why I don't pursue bleeding edge software anymore, unless required.

                    LTS software makes more sense every day.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X