Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fix Is Pending For That Linux 5.15 Performance Regression

Phoronix: A Fix Is Pending For That Linux 5.15 Performance Regression

Last week was the article on noticing various workloads performing slower on the Linux 5.15 development kernel. There is now a patch pending that in testing so far does indeed correct the performance drop on this forthcoming kernel.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30536

Awesome work, Michael. You rock. (and everyone else that contributes, not just to this bug, but to every bug. We can't give kudos to every person, nor should you do *anything* for the kudos. Just do it, to do it.)

From the patch creator Shakeel:

From the above result, it seems like the option-2 not only solves the regression but also improves the performance for at least these benchmarks.
    🔥🔥🔥

(edit: Added the patch to the Ubuntu build kernel script if anyone needs)

(edit 2: more good news. It fixed a bunch of the slowdowns I mentioned in that previous thread on pts/osbench:
    https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...TJ-OSBENCHSE61

too lazy; didn't click:

Code:
    Geometric Mean Of All Test Results
    Result Composite - osbench-sept-2021
    Geometric Mean > Higher Is Better

5.14.7 gcc-9.3.0-17ubuntu120.04 .......... 4.404
    5.15-rc2 gcc-9.3.0-17ubuntu120.04 ........ 4.574
    5.4.147 gcc-7.5.0-6ubuntu2 ............... 4.615
    5.4.147 gcc-11.1.0-1ubuntu120.04 ......... 4.632
    5.15-rc2 gcc-9 after patch ............... 4.635
    5.4.147 gcc-8.4.0-3ubuntu2 ............... 4.653
    5.4.147 gcc-10.3.0-1ubuntu120.04 ......... 4.676
    5.4.148 gcc-9.3.0-17ubuntu120.04 ......... 4.693
    5.4.147 gcc-9.3.0-17ubuntu120.04 ......... 4.715
    Fixed Create Processes test:

Great work again, Shakeel and Michael.
    Last edited by perpetually high; 23 September 2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

good job!

Comment

Thank you for your involvement in this! (and any other issues you find an report of course ^^)

Comment

This is one big reason, why Phoronix readers should buy a premium account or at least disable ad-blocker!

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            This is one big reason, why Phoronix readers should buy a premium account or at least disable ad-blocker!
            It's the least they could do, and I *guaran-damn-tee* they won't do it. Those are some of the type of people that frequent the Phoronix forums. Linux invites those kinds of people, just how it is. Hate that I have to be that nasty prick to say that.

Am I wrong? They use NoScript, block every damn ad (I do too, shout out to pi-hole). God forbid they give back a little to Michael by either

a) small 1 or 2 dollar donations on a post they like, b) buying a Lifetime subscription on sale (it's Oktoberfest right now), or c) disabling ad-blocker

Let's see. I gave people 3 ways to help out. One is free, the other cost a dollar, the other one is way more but way cool. No ads, all posts are one single page unless it's a huge thread. Many other benefits. Early release to threads. Premium is definitely worth it.

Michael if I can make a small, special request for a title next to my name. Instead of Senior Member, maybe Lifetime Member or "High All The Time" Please consider.

Comment

Working...
            X