OpenVPN DCO Linux Kernel Module Aims To Offer Faster VPN Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenVPN DCO Linux Kernel Module Aims To Offer Faster VPN Performance

Phoronix: OpenVPN DCO Linux Kernel Module Aims To Offer Faster VPN Performance

OpenVPN has been implementing a kernel module for data channel offload (DCO) capabilities to enhance the performance of this virtual private network system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kernel module is here: https://github.com/OpenVPN/ovpn-dco

Comment

Will this be able to prolong my uptime on battery on my laptop while using openVPN?

Comment

Me five hours ago: "Get everything out of the kernel!"
        Me right now: "Actually, this sounds good."

Comment

Couldn't they use eBPF for that? At least for the decryption phase.

Comment

I see no upstreaming roadmap for the kernel driver. Upstreaming into the main Linux kernel does trigger a lot of peer review.

Comment

When OpenVPN is the wrong tool for the job... stop trying to make it the right tool. And just use the right tool to being with.

Comment

Funny how chrome made firefox much better and now wireguard made openvpn much better.

Comment

Would be interesting to compare it to classic userspace-only OpenVPN and WireGuard.

Comment

Sounds like there's an overlap with what ProtonVPN has been doing with OpenVPN to improve performance: https://protonvpn.com/blog/vpn-accelerator/

Comment

Working...
                    X