Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That Didn't Take Long: KSMBD In-Kernel File Server Already Needs Important Security Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zboszor
    replied
    Calm down people, it's a storm in a teapot. KSMBD was merged into 5.15-rc1 and this file leak was fixed in -rc2, none of which are to be used in production.

Leave a comment:

• Etherman
    replied
    It's not mandatory. Just say <n> if you don't need it.

Leave a comment:

• domih
    replied
    Always, always remove ../ : /universe/milkyway/solarsystem/earth/../../../../ ?

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    Originally posted by flower View Post
    <...> all reasons why it is better in kernel should be solved <...>
    Yeah, just a sec, right after solving wars, pollution and inequality. Very easy thing to say, very hard thing (almost impossible) to do.

Reality is that for Linux, this train has already sailed. It's a firmly monolithic kernel, for better or worse.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by arQon View Post

No, you really do. We've DONE this already, getting samba to sustain GbE line rate on incredibly shitty hardware (as in dual-core 600MHz ARM with no RAM levels of "shitty"). Once you have zerocopy, there's almost nothing that actually *needs* to be in kernelspace because you just aren't making enough roundtrips for it to matter. Electing to massively increase the attack surface of the kernel for the sake of wringing the last few trivial drops of +perf out of something like this is simply a bad decision.

It's not like Linus et al are idiots, and they're the ones who approved this, but IMO that doesn't make it any less of a poor choice. I can understand being motivated to do it by history (e.g. "NFS is in the kernel already" etc), despite that being from a time where there were far fewer attacks taking place and the kernel was 1/1000th of its current size; or to win a benchmark against Windows Server etc, but it's still not the choice I'd have made: not least because eventually someone is going to argue that SMB4 "needs to" be in the kernel too, since NFS and SMB3 are, and SMB4 is a @#$%ing nightmare...

Still, at least THIS one was caught early.
    You should probably have a read of the proposal because creating a fast SMB implementation is a lot more than just "zero-copy" https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/

Leave a comment:

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    If you want performance you don't really have a choice
    No, you really do. We've DONE this already, getting samba to sustain GbE line rate on incredibly shitty hardware (as in dual-core 600MHz ARM with no RAM levels of "shitty"). Once you have zerocopy, there's almost nothing that actually *needs* to be in kernelspace because you just aren't making enough roundtrips for it to matter. Electing to massively increase the attack surface of the kernel for the sake of wringing the last few trivial drops of +perf out of something like this is simply a bad decision.

It's not like Linus et al are idiots, and they're the ones who approved this, but IMO that doesn't make it any less of a poor choice. I can understand being motivated to do it by history (e.g. "NFS is in the kernel already" etc), despite that being from a time where there were far fewer attacks taking place and the kernel was 1/1000th of its current size; or to win a benchmark against Windows Server etc, but it's still not the choice I'd have made: not least because eventually someone is going to argue that SMB4 "needs to" be in the kernel too, since NFS and SMB3 are, and SMB4 is a @#$%ing nightmare...

Still, at least THIS one was caught early.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    Originally posted by flower View Post
    I still think smb belongs in userland (same with nfs). AND all reasons why it is better in kernel should be solved so that anyone can use them from userland.

its also much easier to update userspace than kernel
    ^- THIS. ;-) obviously.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    if just some news site would not praise all obviously bad ideas in the name of performance ;-) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post
    still quite embarrassing "beginners" bug :/
    Most embarrassing for the professionals who reviewed the code. That's what code review is for.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

I'm not sure if this is a serious comment or not, but the Windows smb client and server do run in the kernel.
    There was even a presentation at a samba conference about this. If you want to look into this your self, boot up a Windows system and look in Windows\system32\drivers for mrxsmb.sys, mrxsmb20.sys,srv.sys, srvnet.sys, and srv2.sys.

I'll also add that macOS has a smb in-kernel driver (e.g. System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext), as does Solaris.
    Its also inside the FreeBSD kernel

Leave a comment:

Working...
X