Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.1.1 Arrives As A Big Point Release

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.1.1 Arrives As A Big Point Release

Following the big OpenZFS 2.1 release from July that brought Distributed SPARE RAID, a compatibility property for pools, and other new features, OpenZFS 2.1.1 is available today as a follow-up release for this open-source ZFS file-system implementation for Linux and FreeBSD systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anyone running zfs 2 with critical cat pictures ? How is it going?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
      Just fine. I'm on a slightly older version than this, git from about a week ago (gonna update to stable tonight), and everything has been safe and sound for over half a decade now. My main storage pool has gone through multiple PCs, from a single disk to a mirror, the original disk in a drawer, I've used it on multiple Linux distributions and Windows with WSL2, and it's always been reliable for me.

Since I'm using Arch I occasionally run into the issue where the kernel updates faster than ZFS, but it's easy enough to keep LTS installed or to switch over to -git packages for a bit. IMHO, that's about the biggest issue ZOL has - bleeding edge distribution kernel updates. You have to keep on top of that if you use linux-stable and you're not on Ubuntu, Cent, or something like that; especially so if you're using bleeding edge with a ZFS root....or just use linux-lts if you don't want to keep on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
        I've been running it for about a year on FreeBSD and Arch Linux. It is fast and stable. I've only had two minor issues:

- L2ARC is not very effective unless you have lots of RAM - you need about 1/10 the size of the L2ARC device. If you want to use a 500GB SSD, you better have 50GB RAM.
        - Once on Linux I kept getting read errors for one file, and after rebooting I could read the file again. I believe this was due to a bit flip in non-ECC RAM.

Both of these issues were my fault, for using hardware configurations that the ZFS team recommends against. Neither issue caused data loss.

Comment

Working...
        X