X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

No it isn't, if every issue that someone found went straight to Linus, he wouldn't be able to get any work done

There's a clear process for reporting bugs
    This has been an ongoing problem it seems with memcg. But you know what, it doesn't matter. I don't know about this particular issue to talk more about it, you guys probably do. It's separate from the point I'm trying to make.

I'm well aware there's process and order by the way, but you don't know what steps were taken for Michael to ultimately reach out to Linus. You assume it was a) find bug b) text message Linus at 3am "you're not going to believe this." So you don't know, I don't know, but Michael and Linus do. If you want to know, try and inquiring, is all I'm trying to say.

Another thing: I think you are forgetting Linux is the following: [email protected]:torvalds/linux.git

torvalds/linux.git

Head hauncho

*He* is the Benevolent Dictator. It's his project. What he says, goes. I might be wrong in that, but I've yet to see contrary evidence. So if I'm wrong, let me know. I don't want to be wrong again.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Not sure what you mean? He took it straight to the chief. Linus. Isn't that the pinnacle of "raising a bug"? Asking seriously.
    No it isn't, if every issue that someone found went straight to Linus, he wouldn't be able to get any work done

There's a clear process for reporting bugs

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post

I think it's fine to highlight the good work that Michael does, but a lot of the replies on the thread imply that none else is doing any and if it weren't for Michael, no one would catch any regressions in the kernel.
    I've been frequenting for about 4 years now, and I haven't seen many do what he does. And the Google searches will back it up. He catches a lot of these things *at the perfect* time (while it's still in -rc and before it rears its ugly head), or even sometimes after the fact if there's a clear regression in a new kernel after a patch. That amd temp patch was one thing, but there's been so many regressions he's caught. He's invaluable because he's the watchdog of the Linux kernel performance. Think about it, he mentioned it to Linus. That's boss. He deserves a direct line.

I'm just saying, not disagreeing with you, but also think Michael is underrated even after everyone's words in this thread. But that's just my personal opinion. And I know you feel similar, but spade a spade, I think Michael is the sole one doing *exactly* what he does.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

That's certainly not fair to everything Michael brings to the table. Sure, others are doing some. That's good. More should be doing some and more than they already are, maybe.

We can highlight one person without having to recognize every other person doing good work (you, Marek, Bas, Alyssa, Dave Airlee, trying to think of names that pop up often), but Michael is in a league of his own. Clearly.
    I think it's fine to highlight the good work that Michael does, but a lot of the replies on the thread imply that none else is doing any and if it weren't for Michael, no one would catch any regressions in the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Lots of people do this every day. Not everyone has a website to announce their findings, but users and developers find issues, report, debug, and fix them every day.
    That's certainly not fair to everything Michael brings to the table. Sure, others are doing some. That's good. More should be doing some and more than they already are, maybe.

We can highlight one person without having to recognize every other person doing good work (you, Marek, Bas, Alyssa, Dave Airlee, trying to think of names that pop up often), but Michael is in a league of his own. Clearly.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post

The Linux Foundation should seriously consider funding you, I mean no one is doing what you do.
    Lots of people do this every day. Not everyone has a website to announce their findings, but users and developers find issues, report, debug, and fix them every day.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Really impressed you went straight to the bisect

Just gotta raise a bug next time and it'll be a home run
    Not sure what you mean? He took it straight to the chief. Linus. Isn't that the pinnacle of "raising a bug"? Asking seriously.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Really impressed you went straight to the bisect

Just gotta raise a bug next time and it'll be a home run

Leave a comment:

• remenic
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I'm really wondering W.T.F. are those guys doing with the huge amounts of money they get from Google, Facebook, Microsoft and all other members ???
    I don't see them working to improve the desktop adoption, governments open source adoption or open standards adoption like Vulkan.

Or funding Michael as a full time employee with all the benefits for his amazing work at finding all these regressions and saving millions for all these funding members that use Linux.

I'm really disgusted to see this bullshit corrupt foundation that does nothing !
    All that money is put into enterprise use cases.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post

The Linux Foundation should seriously consider funding you, I mean no one is doing what you do.
    This.

edit: It's one thing to find the problem, but then he tracks it down to the actual commit, has the benchmarks to back everything up. It's not just low effort stuff. It's really, really high effort stuff on top of everything else he's doing. He needs to be recognized already.

edit 2: forgot to mention he's a dad

edit 3: this morning after I saw this, I looked up Michael on YouTube and saw him on camera for the first time. I don't think he'll mind me sharing this:

We chat with Michael Larabel the man behind Phoronix.com. We ask him if he feels his site's image suffered from the coverage of Steam for Linux, chat about t...

Keep in mind:

This was in 2012. It's an important conversation actually, about the history of Phoronix and the state of the Linux desktop (which at that moment was at a crucial inflection point)

My point is, Michael has been doing this for a couple decades and it's been long overdue. I've already donated $100 for Lifetime, but if I have to keep donating a few bucks also here and there I may also. He makes my life great because my computer flies.
    Last edited by perpetually high; 16 September 2021, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X