Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.15 Delivers Many Features With New NTFS Driver, In-Kernel SMB3 Server, New Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the Open vSwitch improvements, reported on here ("Linux 5.15 To Bring More Scalable + Reliable Open vSwitch"), make it into 5.15?

Comment

I made quick build and some comparisons between new NTFS driver and ntfs-3g (with flexible i/o tester). Well, the results are quite obvious, new NTFS driver is noticeably faster than ntfs-3g and close to native kernel drivers. Now using NTFS for storage makes sense if you need to read from it under Windows.

I hope there will be possibility to install Linux on NTFS partition with this new driver so I can finally enjoy using Win32 applications on Wine running on CBL-Mariner installed on NTFS partition while I copy some data to Windows Server powered storage with new SMB kernel driver. Just in case: that was a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
        I made quick build and some comparisons between new NTFS driver and ntfs-3g (with flexible i/o tester). Well, the results are quite obvious, new NTFS driver is noticeably faster than ntfs-3g and close to native kernel drivers. Now using NTFS for storage makes sense if you need to read from it under Windows.

I hope there will be possibility to install Linux on NTFS partition with this new driver so I can finally enjoy using Win32 applications on Wine running on CBL-Mariner installed on NTFS partition while I copy some data to Windows Server powered storage with new SMB kernel driver. Just in case: that was a joke.
        I generally mostly need a decent NTFS (read) driver for FS recovery. Still way to many spinnyspinny rusteses out there and performance savings during recovery is a boon. Having the drive fail on your entirely whilst recoovering =(. Although I tend to resort to low-level imaging the drive these days.

It is, however, nice to use the native NTFS FS when running WINEdow's games. Just keeps thing's simple (gaming is a time sink, and a luxury, so convenience for me is key here)
        Hi

Comment

Doesn't it still miss tools for fixing a corrupted filesystem?
          Can you mount it if it's not cleanly unmounted?

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

I generally mostly need a decent NTFS (read) driver for FS recovery. Still way to many spinnyspinny rusteses out there and performance savings during recovery is a boon. Having the drive fail on your entirely whilst recoovering =(. Although I tend to resort to low-level imaging the drive these days.

It is, however, nice to use the native NTFS FS when running WINEdow's games. Just keeps thing's simple (gaming is a time sink, and a luxury, so convenience for me is key here)
            Yeah, probably main reason to use this driver would be interoperability with Windows. I guess you can also use it exclusively on Linux but why?

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Doesn't it still miss tools for fixing a corrupted filesystem?
            Can you mount it if it's not cleanly unmounted?
            As far I know tools are still not here but according to Paragon FAQ they play to open source utilities as well. There is mount option that forces mounting NTFS partition with "dirty" bit set.

Comment

Yeah, probably main reason to use this driver would be interoperability with Windows. I guess you can also use it exclusively on Linux but why?

As far I know tools are still not here but according to Paragon FAQ they play to open source utilities as well. There is mount option that forces mounting NTFS partition with "dirty" bit set.
              The reason why is simply because I still need to dual-boot. I have the Windows games installed on a partition, but you let linux touch that partition and shit goes haywire at times. Especially as I use compression at times on NVMe drives on my games directories. I can stay on my gamier machine and game on without worrying about permissions and corruption now. I was even resrting to network loading games for a spell. Yeahnah, games too big now for that.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

The reason why is simply because I still need to dual-boot. I have the Windows games installed on a partition, but you let linux touch that partition and shit goes haywire at times. Especially as I use compression at times on NVMe drives on my games directories. I can stay on my gamier machine and game on without worrying about permissions and corruption now. I was even resrting to network loading games for a spell. Yeahnah, games too big now for that.
                Dual boot goes to "interoperability with Windows" case. I was talking about using it exclusively on Linux without dual boot. Permissions are complicated issue because it's pretty difficult to exchange permissions on two different operating systems. POSIX permissions are also different than Windows permissions.

Comment

For what I care, they might as well get rid of NTFS support completely, I don't use it and I hope I never have to use it. NTFS = garbage.

Comment

Hi, I used the UFSD open source driver from Paragon released up to the 4.15, and ported it on my own up to the 5.0.

I would ask you if we can consider NTFS3 (a scratch rewriting of UFSD) stable and reliable?

Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
                    X