Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.15-rc1 Brings New NTFS Driver, In-Kernel SMB3 Server, AMD Changes, Intel DG2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make menuconfig or make xconfig and check under file systems is my guess.
    edit: Also make sure to remove FUSE from the kernel (unless you need it for something else) and possibly the other older one. Plus: check your mount options (for manual mounting or in /etc/fstab)

(But as a Gentoo user I'm simply used to that, maybe.)

I wonder if and how NTFS v3 will be better. I never used the kernel built-in for it was read only. That is okay for emergencies, but not daily work. So I was "stuck" with ntfs3g which is a FUSE plugin with the shortcomings in performance you must expect for a FS in userspace.
    It actually is pretty slow compared to something like ext4 in kernel.
    And rarely it also left some litter like these dot fuse files.

So a reliable read/write capability in kernel would be great for a change.
    Last edited by Adarion; 13 September 2021, 05:50 AM.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by poncho524 View Post
      Why is there an in-kernel smb server??
      For the same reasons that there is an in kernel NFS server, i.e. performance

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      make menuconfig or make xconfig and check under file systems is my guess.
      edit: Also make sure to remove FUSE from the kernel (unless you need it for something else) and possibly the other older one. Plus: check your mount options (for manual mounting or in /etc/fstab)

(But as a Gentoo user I'm simply used to that, maybe.)

I wonder if and how NTFS v3 will be better. I never used the kernel built-in for it was read only. That is okay for emergencies, but not daily work. So I was "stuck" with ntfs3g which is a FUSE plugin with the shortcomings in performance you must expect for a FS in userspace.
      It actually is pretty slow compared to something like ext4 in kernel.
      And rarely it also left some litter like these dot fuse files.

So a reliable read/write capability in kernel would be great for a change.
      Well the new NTFS driver is basically paragorns Linux ntfs driver that they opened source, and having used it before (also using their product on MacOS) I haven't seen any stability issues

Comment

I'm up and running, y'all.

Code:
        $ uname -a
        Linux ubuntu 5.15-rc1-051500rc1+customidle-generic #051500rc1+202107311230 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 13 03:33:06 PDT 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        ~ ☻ zgrep -i 'NTFS3' /proc/config.gz
        CONFIG_NTFS3_FS=y
        # CONFIG_NTFS3_64BIT_CLUSTER is not set
        CONFIG_NTFS3_LZX_XPRESS=y
        # CONFIG_NTFS3_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
        ~ ☻ dmesg | grep -i 'ntfs'
        [ 0.199071] ntfs: driver 2.1.32 [Flags: R/O].
        [ 0.199077] ntfs3: Max link count 1024
        [ 0.199078] ntfs3: Read-only LZX/Xpress compression included
        You guys are probably wondering, how?? kernel.ubuntu.com shows a failed build for amd64, so how could I possibly be on it.

I mean if only there was a script where literally all I had to do was run one command and have a compiled kernel. But that couldn't be possible.

There's probably no instructions on how something like that could even be possibly pursued or accomplished.

Maybe one day.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Check to see what the setting of CONFIG_NTFS3_FS is.

Should be:

CONFIG_NTFS3_FS=y
          I don't know how to check that.
          I just use the kernels that are shown in Mainline Kernel Installer third party too, that probably takes the kernel from Ubuntu's server.
          I don't know how they are built, with which config.
          Also ATM, the 5.15 RC is not available yet to test it, so I'll have to wait even if I find out how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I don't know how to check that.
            I just use the kernels that are shown in Mainline Kernel Installer third party too, that probably takes the kernel from Ubuntu's server.
            I don't know how they are built, with which config.
            Also ATM, the 5.15 RC is not available yet to test it, so I'll have to wait even if I find out how to do it.
            This or This should help get you the info you need. And to mount it you do it like any other file system only you need to use "-t ntfs3" with the "mount" command.

I'd advise having a copy of Windows on hand since we don't have any fsck-like tools for NTFS. Anything bad happens like a power outage, you'll need Windows to repair the disk.
            Last edited by skeevy420; 13 September 2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

This or This should help get you the info you need. And to mount it you do it like any other file system only you need to use "-t ntfs3" with the "mount" command.

I'd advise having a copy of Windows on hand since we don't have any fsck-like tools for NTFS. Anything bad happens like a power outage, you'll need Windows to repair the disk.
              Great, I found the config for my system: /boot/config-5.14.2-051402-generic
              I'll wait for the 5.15 kernel and then check again for that config option.
              Thank you very much for telling me where to look and how to mount it and of course the heads up about currently missing filesytem check tools !

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Is there actually an open source fsck tool for NTFS or is it just not included in the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Is there actually an open source fsck tool for NTFS or is it just not included in the kernel?
                  There's ntfsfix in ntfs-3g/ntfsprogs, but it's not really a full fledged fsck/chkdisk tool and is made for a different NTFS driver. AFAIK, that's it. That's why, IMHO, it's best to have a Windows install handy.

Comment

Working...
                  X