Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.15-rc1 Brings New NTFS Driver, In-Kernel SMB3 Server, AMD Changes, Intel DG2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.15-rc1 Brings New NTFS Driver, In-Kernel SMB3 Server, AMD Changes, Intel DG2

Phoronix: Linux 5.15-rc1 Brings New NTFS Driver, In-Kernel SMB3 Server, AMD Changes, Intel DG2

As expected this evening the Linux 5.15-rc1 kernel was released to top off the two week merge window that saw many changes to the kernel...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Linux-5.15-rc1

Why is there an in-kernel smb server??

Comment

Originally posted by poncho524 View Post
      Why is there an in-kernel smb server??
      Reading a Linux tech news site might tell you. There have been several articles at this very site!

Comment

Originally posted by AusMatt View Post

Reading a Linux tech news site might tell you. There have been several articles at this very site!
        For a case of TL;DR... to answer the original question: performance and compatibility.

Comment

I don't mind seeing a SMB server in the kernel although I've never had a problem with Samba's performance as it is. Between it and sshfs means I never have to touch the evil telnet of filesystems (NFS) so it's all good.

Comment

"Telnet of filesystems"

We have the best quote of the year so far.

Comment

So, how do we activate Paragon's NTFS driver instead of the other one ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                I suppose there will be a new kernel configuration option that can be used to enable it.

Comment

I wonder why the zstd changes always just seem to silently die (https://lore.kernel.org/linux-btrfs/[email protected]/)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Check to see what the setting of CONFIG_NTFS3_FS is.

Should be:

CONFIG_NTFS3_FS=y

Comment

Working...
                    X