X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david-nk
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Now with the new NTFS driver being merged into mainline Linux kernel, what use is FUSE these days?

Are there any file system that FUSE supports that the kernel does not?
    I guess FUSE will still continue to be useful for prototyping file systems when developing a new file system. Maybe?

Linux still does not have support for Apple's file system APFS.
    FUSE isn't necessarily meant for classical file systems like NTFS, but rather specialized virtual file systems that provide a certain view on data or have other special functionality.
    I employ several FUSE file systems for personal use. They're useful for data aggregation across many different devices/network sources and I also use it for a parity-based backup system that is similar to RAID4.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Now with the new NTFS driver being merged into mainline Linux kernel, what use is FUSE these days?

From the top of my head:
    • sshfs -- mount ssh shares via fuse
    • gvfs -- mount whatever gnome provides (they also have some ftp and sftp implementation and also webdav)
    • rclone can mount certain cloud providers
    • restic can mount its backups
    • GlusterFS -- a filesystem for computer clusters
    • ipfs also has fuse support. ipfs is a peer2peer filesystem
    • s3fs -- amazon s3 cloud storage

Leave a comment:

• Hibiki Kanzaki
    replied
    With the new NTFS driver being merged into mainline Linux kernel, what use is FUSE these days?
    FUSE can present any hierarchical data structure as a filesystem such that any tools which access a filesystem can be used to access the data structure.
    JSON files https://github.com/calebcase/jsonfs
    Active Directory (LDAP) https://github.com/mgale/ldapfs
    REST API https://github.com/jboero/hashifuse

Leave a comment:

• Joe2021
    replied
    SSHFS.

Leave a comment:

• dragonn
    replied
    FUSE has a lot of use case outside a regural desktop filesystems. Two my own examples: I am using bindfs to get some directory work across multiple containers without any
    weird permission issues, it is a small dir so I don't care about the performance. In embedded they are all kind of weird file systems for small flash chips, it is nice to have access to them like regular files, you can with easy craft a driver even in python for that in hours.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

I guess FUSE will still continue to be useful for prototyping file systems when developing a new file system. Maybe?

One answer is in the article: the CERN uses it for its infrastructure.

Other common uses of FUSE include GVFS-based mounting, cgroups management in nested LXD containers, and more.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FUSE With Linux 5.15 Now Allows Mounting An Active FUSE Device

Phoronix: FUSE With Linux 5.15 Now Allows Mounting An Active FUSE Device

While Linus Torvalds isn't much of a fan of FUSE / user-space file-systems, the FUSE code within the kernel does continue making improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X