Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 860/870 SSDs Continue Causing Problems For Linux Users

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    What chipset is proven to be safe?

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      Seriously considering an Intel cpu + AMD gpu for my next setup. I don't want *any* of these f'n problems with my new computer.
      Newer AMD chipsets have no such issue. Samsung issue, however, occurs on Intel controllers too. I don't see much of a point in your statement. Consumer platforms are unstable and not well validated in general, at least compared to server ones.

      Comment


      • #23
        What do you mean you don’t get the point of my statement? I don’t have a dog in the fight. Not everything has to be controversial, you know..

        (edit: I truly feel like "Likes" becomes a popularity contest and a distraction to the conversation. Michael, you should really consider removing Likes and watch what it does to the discussion. If you have that capability, try it out. As an experiment. It provides nothing, except fake dopamine. Trust me, I know. I love all of your Likes.

        and reddit is actually worse because fake accounts/trolls can quickly downvote a legimate comment and have it at -4 and then no ones takes it seriously, so they ignore it. Twitter doesn't have this problem. Shitty tweet? Zero likes, zero retweets. Please consider, Michael. Thanks for listening to my Ted talk.)
        Last edited by perpetually high; 04 September 2021, 01:22 PM.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Desti View Post
          What chipset is proven to be safe?
          No SATA chipset is safe with Samsung 8xx series SSDs, not even Intel's. Queued TRIM will be disabled regardless.
          NCQ will also be disabled for older generation AMD chipsets, not for newer.

          Comment


          • #25
            People using computers for some time now should realize that there is no such a thing as bug-less software/hardware. Just because YOU didn't stumbled upon a bug, didn't mean it don't exist. Even expensive enterprise-grade stuff have bugfixes for software and firmware.

            So please stop with the fanboyism and statements like "this vendor I like is solid rock and the competition stinks", because your experience is not the same as the others. Personally I have seen all vendors fail one way or another, in my machines, in friend's ones and my clients'. Just to stick with the subject in question, I have a couple Samsung 840 Evos has been solid even after the firmware bugs, but a friend's one died long ago. So in my book Samsung is great while for him is crap.

            Is really a miracle the PC platform works as well as it do, because if the vertically integrated, proprietary til the last bolt Apple still show software/hardware bugs (despite their fanboys denying it), of course PC stuff will hit a problem here and there. Is as inevitable as taxes and death. Get over it.
            Last edited by [email protected]; 04 September 2021, 01:29 PM.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
              What do you mean you don’t get the point of my statement?
              You were implying that choosing Intel CPU + AMD GPU will prevent you from this kind of the problems, even though current AMD chipsets do not have one, and some old Intel chipsets had somewhat similar issues (i965). Not to mention you have no idea what quality of the future chipsets will be from either the vendor. Your position is not rational - that's all.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

                You were implying that choosing Intel CPU + AMD GPU will prevent you from this kind of the problems, even though current AMD chipsets do not have one, and some old Intel chipsets had somewhat similar issues (i965). Not to mention you have no idea what quality of the future chipsets will be from either the vendor. Your position is not rational - that's all.
                No, my position is completely rational. Yours is actually the one from the "hurr, durr it works for me so it must work for all." Try way harder, bud bud. I can respond further if you like but we can probably just stop it there.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  People using computers for some time now should realize that there is no such a thing as bug-less software/hardware. Just because YOU didn't stumbled upon a bug, didn't mean it don't exist. Even expensive enterprise-grade stuff have bugfixes for software and firmware.
                  Sure, but enterprise-grade products have lower probability due better validation and QA. That was my point. TBH, I think that at least small portion of consumer platform features are not validated at all, considering the fact that some issues appears after somebody tries to use broken feature.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

                    No, my position is completely rational. Yours is actually the one from the "hurr, durr it works for me so it must work for all." Try way harder, bud bud. I can respond further if you like but we can probably just stop it there.
                    I did not say that in any shape or form. I even did not mention what platform I use. So yeah, let's stop that "Intel - muh quality guaranteed" nonsense right there.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      I own a couple of 860 SSDs. What am I supposed to do now, enable a periodic TRIM service (or something similar)?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X