Linux 5.15 Hardware Monitoring Is Big But Overdue For AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reba View Post

Yup. After the display of my trusted machine broke and other things began to fall apart after nearly a decade, a Lenovo with a Ryzen 9 5900HX Zen 3 is in the mail. Touch me. I'm also in for a support-surprise it seems I'll go and check it out when it arrives.
    Consider yourself intimately touched. Heads up, very good chance your wifi card is also not supported, so compiling wifi driver is written inside your fortune cookie I'm afraid. After you get past that phase maybe you find a way to let me know if platform_profile works on your setup? I wanted to waste some time on lenovo forums to try and figure this one out, but I have a feeling it will end up being nothing more than just that, a waste of time

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post

Consider yourself intimately touched. Heads up, very good chance your wifi card is also not supported, so compiling wifi driver is written inside your fortune cookie I'm afraid. After you get past that phase maybe you find a way to let me know if platform_profile works on your setup? I wanted to waste some time on lenovo forums to try and figure this one out, but I have a feeling it will end up being nothing more than just that, a waste of time
      Support didn't look too bad:

What specific chip is in yours?

Comment

My bad, didn't know about the Thinkbook line. There's a good chance you won't have issues with wifi, still curious about the power profiles. Mine is a slim 7 pro

Comment

My bad, didn't know about the Thinkbook line. There's a good chance you won't have issues with wifi, still curious about the power profiles. Mine is a slim 7 pro
          Debian (non-free) also does not sound bad: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Lenovo

ThinkBook, ThinkPad or IdeaPad, Yoga, Legion or whatever they have... are they so fundamentally differently composed?

Edit: Arch Wiki says your Yoga should fare pretty well:
          Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro (AMD Ryzen 7) 2021.01.31 Yes* (See remarks) Yes N/A Yes Yes Yes* (See Remarks) N/A Webcam (Yes) *BIOS version G7CN16WW (and possibly above) needed for S3 sleep to work. *"Brightness down" hotkey causes screen to turn off after S3 sleep, turns on again on "brightness up". Software brightness adjustment works fine. Seems like a BIOS/firmware issue, tested with BIOS version specified above.
          Last edited by reba; 01 September 2021, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Debian (non-free) also does not sound bad: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Lenovo

ThinkBook, ThinkPad or IdeaPad, Yoga, Legion or whatever they have... are they so fundamentally differently composed?

Edit: Arch Wiki says your Yoga should fare pretty well:
            Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro (AMD Ryzen 7) 2021.01.31 Yes* (See remarks) Yes N/A Yes Yes Yes* (See Remarks) N/A Webcam (Yes) *BIOS version G7CN16WW (and possibly above) needed for S3 sleep to work. *"Brightness down" hotkey causes screen to turn off after S3 sleep, turns on again on "brightness up". Software brightness adjustment works fine. Seems like a BIOS/firmware issue, tested with BIOS version specified above.
            They changed the laptop since, replaced whatever they used for wifi with new realtek card. Wiki is outdated
            Code:
            lspci -k
            Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8852
            Subsystem: Lenovo Device 4852
            Kernel driver in use: rtw89_pci
            Kernel modules: rtw89pci

Comment

They are available in Europe, at least lenovos with 5600h series. I'm typing from one after all. Didn't know I was that special. You are allowed to touch me lol
              I meant 5400U/5600U/5800U based laptops which are very rare or very pricey. The H CPUs are more readily available.

Comment

They changed the laptop since, replaced whatever they used for wifi with new realtek card. Wiki is outdated
                Code:
                lspci -k
                Ouch. Nicely communicated :-/

Support is at least on the way, let's see how long it will take: https://lwn.net/Articles/866924/

The chip itself doesn't sound all bad.

Comment

meanwhile on windows 11 with a third party, free, application called hwinfo:

it be super nice if linux got the same support as a third party application on windows that's free.

Comment

Code:
                    lspci -k
                    The box I ordered comes with, quoting Lenovo: "Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 11AX (2x2) & Bluetooth® 5.2" (which is this one without the extra stuff on amazon.com) with this Linux support. It's pretty cheap for what it can do, maybe you'd like to swap the card?

Edit: according to Lenovo, the Yoga 7 Slim Pro comes with either the Realtek or the Intel WiFi card, depending on which of the two offered models you ordered:
                    82N50009GE (Ryzen 7 5800H): Realtek 8852AE 11AX (2x2) & Bluetooth® 5.1
                    82MS001NGE (Ryzen 9 5900HX): Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 11AX (2x2) & Bluetooth® 5.1

A model with 5600H isn't listed, so I assume you're from a different market, other than "GE"=Germany, or it's not directly from Lenovo.
                    Last edited by reba; 02 September 2021, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Anybody have any good suggestions for (preferably GUI) hardware monitoring apps? The one I've been using for temps is something like pTemperature or something and it's alright but I'd love to know what the alternatives are.

Comment

Working...
                      X