Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.15 Hardware Monitoring Is Big But Overdue For AMD

Phoronix: Linux 5.15 Hardware Monitoring Is Big But Overdue For AMD

The Linux 5.15 hardware monitoring "HWMON" subsystem changes were sent out and now merged for this next kernel version. Particularly notable this cycle is AMD catching up on some of their sensors support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if this will help with the X570 AORUS ELITE board or the gigabyte-wmi-driver

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
      I wonder if this will help with the X570 AORUS ELITE board or the gigabyte-wmi-driver
      It's 100% unrelated.

Comment

This is why its better to buy Intel, with Intel you know that when you buy a new system everything will work as soon as you get home with the products from the shelf, the day it was released. The support is already added upstream to the mainline kernel months before the product hit the stores.

With AMD you don't know, and you have to wait months for things to get work, and its only partially fixed, and you have to wait until the next OS release to ship with the new kernel.

Comment

I am still using the out-of-tree Zenpower module because k10temp doesn't provide enough information. 3900X

Comment

anyone else having issues with zen3 lenovos and platform_profile not having any difference in power consumption? I wonder if it's because this missing thermal driver

echo low-power > /sys/firmware/acpi/platform_profile makes 0 difference compared to performance state

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
              anyone else having issues with zen3 lenovos and platform_profile not having any difference in power consumption? I wonder if it's because this missing thermal driver

echo low-power > /sys/firmware/acpi/platform_profile makes 0 difference compared to performance state
              Zen 3 laptops? None are available in retail at MSRP. I've checked with HP.com just yesterday and they expect deliveries only in October.

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post

Zen 3 laptops? None are available in retail at MSRP. I've checked with HP.com just yesterday and they expect deliveries only in October.
                They are available in Europe, at least lenovos with 5600h series. I'm typing from one after all. Didn't know I was that special. You are allowed to touch me lol

Comment

and here I am in my 2016 system with broken k10temp:
                  Code:
                  ~# uname -r
                  5.10.0-8-amd64
                  ~# grep "AMD A10" /proc/cpuinfo|uniq
                  model name : AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
                  ~# sensors
                  k10temp-pci-00c3
                  Adapter: PCI adapter
                  temp1: +10.9°C (high = +70.0°C)
                  (crit = +70.0°C, hyst = +69.0°C)

radeon-pci-0008
                  temp1: +5.0°C (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
                  power1: N/A (crit = 65.19 W)
                  Fortunately my motherboard provides a thermistor sensor that can detect CPU temperature..
                  But its a shame that 5 years later my AMD A10 APU still doesn´t have CPU temperature reporting correctly..
                  Last edited by tuxd3v; 01 September 2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post

They are available in Europe, at least lenovos with 5600h series. I'm typing from one after all. Didn't know I was that special. You are allowed to touch me lol
                    Yup. After the display of my trusted machine broke and other things began to fall apart after nearly a decade, a Lenovo with a Ryzen 9 5900HX Zen 3 is in the mail. Touch me. I'm also in for a support-surprise it seems I'll go and check it out when it arrives.

Comment

Working...
                    X