Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KSMBD As An In-Kernel SMB3 File Server Merged For Linux 5.15

Phoronix: KSMBD As An In-Kernel SMB3 File Server Merged For Linux 5.15

One of the earliest pull requests sent in for the now-open Linux 5.15 cycle was proposing KSMBD land as the in-kernel SMB3 file server as an alternative on Linux systems to running Samba in user-space. At the time it wasn't clear if Linus Torvalds would pull in this file server code to the Linux kernel but now he has indeed landed it...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-In-Linux-5.15

i hope if its done we can use it like nfs or http/s for pxe

Comment

What functionality would smb in the kernel give us I thought they moved it to the kernel because it would be faster but not give you more features

Comment

cytomax55 u dont need samba for easy file share as user

Comment

Originally posted by gorgone View Post
          cytomax55 u dont need samba for easy file share as user
          You don't need in-kernel performance either.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
            What functionality would smb in the kernel give us I thought they moved it to the kernel because it would be faster but not give you more features
            Any speed improvement is welcome.......

Comment

Oh cool so you can share files without setting up a Saba server like I'm Windows... That's pretty neat

Comment

Hmm... pretty sure network file systems are restricted by the speed/latency of the network, not by the code being in user space... but hey - why not stick this in the kernel too?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  Hmm... pretty sure network file systems are restricted by the speed/latency of the network, not by the code being in user space... but hey - why not stick this in the kernel too?
                  Actually, weak devices struggle to match even 1GbE connections. This could help them.

Comment

A server in the kernel?! This is insane in my opinion! This is contra security and maintainability!

Comment

Working...
                    X