Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU Linux-libre Was Mistakenly Including Non-Free Code, So Releases Now Re-Spun + 5.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre Was Mistakenly Including Non-Free Code, So Releases Now Re-Spun + 5.14

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre Was Mistakenly Including Non-Free Code, So Releases Now Re-Spun + 5.14

GNU Linux-libre 5.14-gnu was released today as the project's re-base on the recently released Linux 5.14 upstream kernel. But prior supported GNU Linux-libre releases also had to be re-spun as it turned out this "100% free software" kernel was mistakenly leaving in some non-free kernel bits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

important work, there will come a time where blobs will go out, the more people care about that stuff the more will competition push companies to deliver, we see it with librem and others. People also thought DRM must be in music from now on, then they removed it from most sources... and my netbook still boots from such kernel without wlan also my thinkpad x220

Comment

They knew something was wrong when the screen mysteriously starting displaying graphics instead of a non-accelerated console prompt.
      On top of that, they were hacked when the wifi mysteriously sprang to life.

Comment

Disgrace. Who knows what damage could have been done already by those non-free bits. I expect resignations.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
          Disgrace. Who knows what damage could have been done already by those non-free bits. I expect resignations.
          If you don't pay money you have no say... I can release my personal libre kernel if I mess up I will not fire me

Comment

Someone realized hardware that shouldn't work started working again lol

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              They knew something was wrong when the screen mysteriously starting displaying graphics instead of a non-accelerated console prompt.
              On top of that, they were hacked when the wifi mysteriously sprang to life.
              HAR HAR HAR. You're so funny.... If people didn't fight for FOSS, think of how much worse the world would be today with vendor lock-in.

Comment

ngl, I wish my laptop were that good to work with GNU Linux Libre

Comment

Ah man! There goes all the little bread crumbs we left for a trail!

What could ever go wrong next??

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

HAR HAR HAR. You're so funny.... If people didn't fight for FOSS, think of how much worse the world would be today with vendor lock-in.
                    ... yup, locked-in (that thar house) and somebody's hungry!

Comment

Working...
                    X