Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scheduler Changes For Linux 5.15 - Still No Sign Of Any Intel Thread Director Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel makes it clear that desktop Linux is completely irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

How could it be 250W?! A lot of cores I may understand, but otherwise... what?
      At 8p + 8e cores, that seems about right to me.

Maybe 24w per performance core, and 6w per efficiency core, or something similar?

Seems about right given what Intel has done the last few gens to try and keep up with AMD, and what we've seen from Intel's 10nm architecture so far in Tiger Lake. It's not exactly low power.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 30 August 2021, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

At 8p + 8e cores, that seems about right to me.

Maybe 24w per performance core, and 6w per efficiency core, or something similar?

Seems about right given what Intel has done the last few gens to try and keep up with AMD, and what we've seen from Intel's 10nm architecture so far in Tiger Lake. It's not exactly low power.
        But AMD can do 64 cores with 280W...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

But AMD can do 64 cores with 280W...
          AMD's chips are more efficient, and Intel doesn't really care as long as they can retake the performance lead. Plus that's a server chip with lower single-threaded performance, so not exactly a fair comparison. The 5950X is still better, but more representative with 16 cores at 140 watts and it could use more than that pretty easily.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 30 August 2021, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X