X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by domih View Post
    Hopefully the kernel people will one day fix both the punched cards and smoke signals drivers.
    Smoke machines don't need drivers. An Arduino and MIDI/OSC should be enough (both are upstream and not broken).

Leave a comment:

• pipe13
    replied
    Originally posted by linner View Post
    Last time I had to use a floppy was about 5 years ago when I upgraded an old oscilloscope's firmware. Good thing I keep a few floppy drives handy because the one in the oscilloscope was broken and I had to hack in an old laptop drive. Also I had to go through like 20 floppy disks before I found one that would format and reliably store data (I think it was actually an old AOL disk, ha).
    And here just last week I tossed several hundred of the damn things -- most of them brand new and never used. Now you tell me they were worth real money. Who knew?

Leave a comment:

• domih
    replied
    Hopefully the kernel people will one day fix both the punched cards and smoke signals drivers.

Leave a comment:

• linner
    replied
    Last time I had to use a floppy was about 5 years ago when I upgraded an old oscilloscope's firmware. Good thing I keep a few floppy drives handy because the one in the oscilloscope was broken and I had to hack in an old laptop drive. Also I had to go through like 20 floppy disks before I found one that would format and reliably store data (I think it was actually an old AOL disk, ha).

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    No one likes a sloppy floppy disk driver.

Leave a comment:

• doomie
    replied
    And people were sneering at optical media... (seriously though, pressed discs are pretty good)

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Dang... I remember when installing openSUSE to a machine that still had a "floppy controller", and it would never boot until I realized I had to disable fhe floppy controller in BIOS...

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Linux 5.15 To Fix Regression In Its Floppy Disk Driver

Linux 5.15 To Fix Regression In Its Floppy Disk Driver

Phoronix: Linux 5.15 To Fix Regression In Its Floppy Disk Driver

Near the beginning of the year was some rare work on Linux's floppy disk driver and -- a half-year later -- it was found out that not only do people with systems using floppy disks still move to newer kernels, but that work earlier in the year had regressed the Linux kernel's floppy disk handling. Now coming for Linux 5.15 is a fix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X