Linux Could Use A New Maintainer For Its CD-ROM Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's surprising how bad some old flash drives are. I found one old samsung evo 840 drive. Even after wiping the old stuff, sustained write speed is like 30-40 MB/s (sata3). Old usb2 keys might have a write speed of 0,5 - 2 MB/s. I wonder if they've gotten slower over time.
    The 840 EVO was an exception. It has some flaw in the TLC chips apparently. There was a firmware update to improve the situation but it couldn't be totally rectified without a recall. Which never happened.

I think the first 850 EVOs were rebadge 840s with newer Flash chips.
    Last edited by user556; 27 August 2021, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
      also, if you want you could use half blu-ray area and store two copies of the file or use half then par2 parity?
      That's actually a pretty interesting idea: not sure why I haven't heard of that before.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
        Going on a tangent but maybe some one here can help a brother out. Queens Ryche had a disk called Operation Mindcrime. It was one continuous track with no spaces between the songs, one song would morph into another. But it had the songs in a menu so you could jump to them. On a CD player if you played the entire disk it would work perfectly. If you play it on a DVD player it cuts a couple of seconds off the begging and end of each song.
        Audio CDs are notoriously difficult to read reliably. You'll need a specialized tool; as far as I know cdparanoia is still the best tool for the job. It's on the no-frills side, but I use it to read audio from opera CDs and have never had difficulty. It could be, though, that your DVD drive is just particularly misbehaved. Some drives do a really poor job. If cdparanoia doesn't work, you may need to try a different brand of drive.

Comment

Backed up all of my photos on DVD 3 months ago.
          Also from time to time i watch old Movies from DVDR, they still work flawlassly after 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

Archive quality optical media should be fine long term. Random recordable CD/DVD probably not so much.

Flash retention is normally given as ~10 years, YMMV. Power cycling it every few years should help though.
            The only "archival media" that's actually worth a damn is a server that wakes up once a week on a timer, scrubs its filesystems, and sends an email with the results of those scrubs to a human being who is responsible for upkeep. For real long-term stability, it takes a (memetically or biologically) reproducing team of humans who view maintaining the integrity of the data as a sacred duty.

Comment

onlyLinuxLuvUBack Thanks Form the link, I didn't knew the site. Only that the original site went down.

Comment

I hope somebody capable will step up. I also don't use it as often as in the past, but I usually still buy music and movies on CD (Vinyl or tape even), DVD or BluRay. In the latter case I tend to make an mkv *cough* *cough* so one can watch things nicely on Linux. I am wary about any streaming services. You don't own anything there, it's (also) DRM infested, but much more than some DVDCSS. I don't like that.

Once in a while I need a boot media for certain things, FW updates, trying out something, or an install media. CD RW and DVD+RW are my friends.
                Also backups on optical media is still of interest. Yes, with todays amount of data one needs high capacity media, but for several things DVD is still fine. I don't buy cheapo stuff, had good experiences with TaiyoYuden/Mitsubishi Verbatim media. Might try BluRay-M-Disc in the future.
                Gotta keep an eye on storage, though.
                Other things are hard disks and good (MLC/SLC) flash media. (sheer archival might still be okay with TLC). Though I also think simply powering up... I don't know it that really is enough or if we need some re-write once in a while.
                Rotating backups are good, and have a "media disruption" occasionally (HDD -> flash or optical).
                But no matter which media, we have to keep in mind: hardly any media lives forever and we need drives and interfaces to read the data later*, and the very soft data formats. Seen too much in my 30+ years in computers.

* Punch cards might still have survived, but can you read them these days? A M-Disc will still be fine in 150 years. But can you find a drive? You still have a working drive? But do you have an IDE/SATA interface? You still have? But can you read the very data formats?

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have studied informatics, but I was worried about the amount of maths. Maybe I could have stepped up now. But in any case: The world needs more paid Linux (kernel) developers.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by J.King View Post

Audio CDs are notoriously difficult to read reliably. You'll need a specialized tool; as far as I know cdparanoia is still the best tool for the job. It's on the no-frills side, but I use it to read audio from opera CDs and have never had difficulty. It could be, though, that your DVD drive is just particularly misbehaved. Some drives do a really poor job. If cdparanoia doesn't work, you may need to try a different brand of drive.
                  You want whipper. It's a wrapper for cdparanoia which helps to get the tunings set right and verifies correct reading, like a less advanced but more open-source equivalent to Exact Audio Copy.

Comment

Thanks to every one that posted about my issue. You have given me some great stuff to look at and it makes sense that the Opera guys would have the same problem. The only proper way to listen to Operation Mindcrime is end to end so I am not worried about the individual songs. Again thanks to every one that has posted.

Comment

CDs can go and die.

Even some OEMs are shipping servers without an optical drive nowadays. USB flash disks simply read much faster than optical media.

Comment

Working...
                      X