Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homemade solution:

put all your digital library in a huge HDD, then get a new HDD and sync it

use one as NAS storage plugged in to every tv in your home via attached sticks or SBCs with media center software such as Kodi, so you have an active drive with all your stuff in a way you can actually enjoy it and notice as soon as it starts having issues

keep the backup in a dry and physically safe cabinet, unplugged except when syncing

when the active drive goes bust, promote the backup to active, and get a new backup

digital files don't reeeeealy need everlasting media, they can outlive media with zero degradation if you keep them in redundant storage

make a 3rd copy and take it offsite, transporting it back periodically for local sync or or place it in a personal cloud space, for a more frequent remote sync... then you get a boost to natural catastrophy, theft and fire protection

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      How much maintenance is even necessary for this? I imagine there aren't really any open bugs or compatibility issues, so, what exactly is Jens having a hard time keeping up with? Regardless, it's still good to have a replacement now, while Jens is still available for help if necessary.

There aren't really any cheap options, though, flash memory seems to be a decent middle-ground for reliability and cost. Optical discs are better if you keep them in a dark place that doesn't face extreme temperatures.
      what's wrong with 3 copies?

1 m-disc blu-ray 100GB,
      2 take iso from blu-ray encrypt with password upload to glacier slow aws cloud storage ( try not to access often to stay cheap rate )
      3 leave iso on hdd or sdd or whatever you think like hdd, micron max ssd or intel optane or the sas tape

also, if you want you could use half blu-ray area and store two copies of the file or use half then par2 parity?
      also buy extra blu-ray drive or two and leave it in box
      or grab dirtee before .iso and encrypt each file and then upload individual files to glacier aws cold store?

Comment

As dvdisaster is EOL, does anyone know of a replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

Archive quality optical media should be fine long term. Random recordable CD/DVD probably not so much.

Flash retention is normally given as ~10 years, YMMV. Power cycling it every few years should help though.
          I like to rewrite all data after 3 months to another drive and rotate if you trust/believe in flash.

Comment

ps: yes, CD-ROM and DVD-ROM is definitely still in use... not only for reading, but for formal delivery of digital files... which entails burning new media... which afaik has gotten a bit more reliable but still needs improvements, not just base maintenance against lower-level kernel changes

eg:
            in my country several government bureaus, regulatory agencies and whatnot have seen some level of digital-era modernization (eg: requesting shapefiles during environmental licencing procedures) but many are still attached to physical media as their only means to receive computer files officially (with some info already submitted via specific-purpose online forms, but most still lack generic frameworks for online delivery)

I guess the CD-ROM is a more complete analogy to receiving a binder full of paper sheets and stamping a number on it then emmitting a delivery ticket with matching number, than receiving an online ticket number for an upload to a database... but the habit is getting very old very fast

Comment

I have several hundred Blu-rays I have been waiting for a descent AV1 encoder to start ripping. If I knew that kind of coding I would take a look at it atleast.

Going on a tangent but maybe some one here can help a brother out. Queens Ryche had a disk called Operation Mindcrime. It was one continuous track with no spaces between the songs, one song would morph into another. But it had the songs in a menu so you could jump to them. On a CD player if you played the entire disk it would work perfectly. If you play it on a DVD player it cuts a couple of seconds off the begging and end of each song. That destroys the entire experience of the disk. Over years of research I have learned that CD drives and DVD drives are designed to work differently in the way they handle gaps between songs

I don't want to have to go buy a CD player from a pawn shop just to rip one disk. Can any one think of a way that I can do it with a conmpiuter DVD drive and the wide world of Linux tools? I have tried ripping it to an ISO but it still ends up doing the same thing. No one sells the entire disk as one continuous track.

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
                As dvdisaster is EOL, does anyone know of a replacement?
                where do you see EOL ? https://dvdisaster.jcea.es/

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  I have several hundred Blu-rays I have been waiting for a descent AV1 encoder to start ripping. If I knew that kind of coding I would take a look at it atleast.

Going on a tangent but maybe some one here can help a brother out. Queens Ryche had a disk called Operation Mindcrime. It was one continuous track with no spaces between the songs, one song would morph into another. But it had the songs in a menu so you could jump to them. On a CD player if you played the entire disk it would work perfectly. If you play it on a DVD player it cuts a couple of seconds off the begging and end of each song. That destroys the entire experience of the disk. Over years of research I have learned that CD drives and DVD drives are designed to work differently in the way they handle gaps between songs

I don't want to have to go buy a CD player from a pawn shop just to rip one disk. Can any one think of a way that I can do it with a conmpiuter DVD drive and the wide world of Linux tools? I have tried ripping it to an ISO but it still ends up doing the same thing. No one sells the entire disk as one continuous track.
                  take headphone jack of cdplayer, cable to mic in on computer, use audacity record 1 long .wav file.
                  chop into pieces.

ffmpeg/meencode pieces into whatever you want(ogg/mp3) ?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                    ... Can any one think of a way that I can do it with a conmpiuter DVD drive and the wide world of Linux tools? I have tried ripping it to an ISO but it still ends up doing the same thing. No one sells the entire disk as one continuous track.
                    I think Exact Audio Copy (which works under wine) and Whipper (native linux) may have functions that can help you. Else splicing yourself via Ardour or Audacity as suggested :\ maybe your only option... I'd expect VLC to have functionality but https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/549 says anything close won't be mainlined for a while yet.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

Flash retention is normally given as ~10 years, YMMV. Power cycling it every few years should help though.
                      Power cycling won't help at all. It isn't DRAM, it has to be written to to be refreshed. And that requires an erase cycle first.

Comment

Working...
                      X