Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.14 Features Aplenty With New AMD GPUs, SmartShift, More Alder Lake, Core Scheduling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.14 Features Aplenty With New AMD GPUs, SmartShift, More Alder Lake, Core Scheduling

Phoronix: Linux 5.14 Features Aplenty With New AMD GPUs, SmartShift, More Alder Lake, Core Scheduling

Today marks the 30th birthday of Linux since it was announced by Linus Torvalds. Meanwhile in just a few days the Linux 5.14 kernel is expected to be released as stable. Here is a look back at the most prominent features coming for this kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess legacy IDE driver code was removed, not merged...

Comment

Originally posted by prometeo View Post
      I guess legacy IDE driver code was removed, not merged...
      Whoops yeah fixed, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So what can I store in MEMFD_SECRET?
        Am I limited to storing a secret password?
        Or can I store a malware there and hide it from the kernel, antivirus software and debuggers?

Comment

Happy 30th birthday, Linux, and many, many more! Congratulations on an amazing run!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            So what can I store in MEMFD_SECRET?
            Am I limited to storing a secret password?
            Or can I store a malware there and hide it from the kernel, antivirus software and debuggers?
            considering the comparisons to mmap in the in the feature proposal, i can say with near certainty that using these requires root access.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
              considering the comparisons to mmap in the in the feature proposal, i can say with near certainty that using these requires root access.
              How is that relevant? mmap doesn't require root.

The answer, which has been discussed to death already, is that you can hide malware in there, but "only" if it's bytecode (or higher) to be run by an interpreter / compiler. "Luckily", you're guaranteed to have at least one of those readily available, and at least three on any desktop system.

Comment

Working...
              X