PulseAudio 0.9.15 Brings Major Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tball View Post
    Anybody know if pulseaudio will be used in Kubuntu 9.04? If not, why? Because of phonon?
    Phonon is only a thin layer. It is the underlying engines used by phonon (gstreamer, xine, vlc, mplayer, etc) that can use or not pulseaudio, and I think most of them do support it.

Comment

I don't know why anyone wants pulse audio support. I never used it (Kubuntu user) but if I hear friends using ubuntu, or read through some linux/ubuntu forums, pulseaudio seems to create more problems than it solves... and afaih its not that easy to uninstall...

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
        Are you certain that you're not really looking for something like replayGain? Normalisation/Compression causes audible artefacts.

Frank
        It could be. I have never tried it

But isn't ReplayGain something you enable for each program? E.g. mplayer and flac?

Does ReplayGain also work for Flash content?

Comment

Originally posted by izual View Post
          I don't know why anyone wants pulse audio support. I never used it (Kubuntu user) but if I hear friends using ubuntu, or read through some linux/ubuntu forums, pulseaudio seems to create more problems than it solves... and afaih its not that easy to uninstall...
          Actually I don't want pulseaudio either. I just wondered why they would include PA in ubuntu and not kubuntu.

Comment

Yeh, PA has been shit up until now. But try this version. It's fantastic! Everything works, even the microphone

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
              Yeh, PA has been shit up until now. But try this version. It's fantastic! Everything works, even the microphone
              But what is the advantage of PA over directly use alsa? Alsa got mic support too ;-)
              That might per app volume control maybe?

Comment

I can use it to play music simultaneously on all the PA-enabled computers in the house (including windoze). It also makes it extremely easy to combine my USB headset and the sound card into one virtual device so I don't have to switch between the two. And with the new version I can instantaneously switch between S/PDIF and analog output - while the music is playing. It also takes care of my IR remote signals so that I don't need extra scripts to control the volume.
                Those are just a few benefits that I find extremely useful.

PS: It provides a centralized control of the input/output channels. Just set your input device in the mixer and set all devices in Skype (or any other program) to pulseaudio. No more trying of all the devices on the list in each app.
                Last edited by unimatrix; 14 April 2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
                  PS: It provides a centralized control of the input/output channels. Just set your input device in the mixer and set all devices in Skype (or any other program) to pulseaudio. No more trying of all the devices on the list in each app.
                  Wow, if they can fix THAT, it would go a long way towards usability and ending some of my (minor) headaches. I'm really interested in this PA release. I wish it could make it into Jaunty... :-/

Comment

For me, PulseAudio has worked acceptably since Ubuntu 8.04. It really does offer some great advantages such as the ones unimatrix noted. I'm really looking forward to this new release.

Comment

Again... Why isn't it implemented in Kubuntu?

Comment

Working...
                      X