Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Calls On Companies To Devote More Engineers To Upstream Linux, Toolchains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Calls On Companies To Devote More Engineers To Upstream Linux, Toolchains

Phoronix: Google Calls On Companies To Devote More Engineers To Upstream Linux, Toolchains

Longtime kernel developer Kees Cook of the Google Security Team published a post on Google's Security Blog today effectively calling for more organizations to devote a greater number of engineers to the upstream Linux kernel in order to improve open-source security...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh! The irony is great here!

Why not they invest first and set a good example for the rest instead wasting efforts on soon-to-fail experiments such as FuchsiaOS?

Google, please do your homework before talking to others...

Comment

I really donā€™t think that Google can be accused of not investing enough in Open Source developmentā€¦

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        I really donā€™t think that Google can be accused of not investing enough in Open Source developmentā€¦
        That's not the issue.

They blame something, yet only complain but not promote a pragmatical solution. It may seem as a subtle attack against Linux, they have an agenda with FuchsiaOS

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          ... soon-to-fail experiments such as FuchsiaOS?
          How can you be so sure?

Comment

They did propose a solution. They asked other companies to invest more in kernel development. Currently they have a ton of developers that contribute to Linux and other open source parts of the stack. Others that depend on Linux need to do more to keep up with the massive requirements on a modern os.

Seeing a conspiracy here with FuchsiaOS is bizarre. They aren't competing. There is plenty of internal interest in FuchsiaOS even if nobody else uses it. Moreover, spending a ton of money and encouraging others to spend a ton of money on Linux would be a weird strategy for sabotaging Linux.

Furthermore, any success with FuchsiaOS benefits everyone who cares about technology. I use Linux, bit I don't seeth at the freeBSD team for not working on Linux. The variety of approaches and experiments that made Linux great are also why building other things from scratch teaches us other things. FuchsiaOS devs are making some very interesting choices and the design is quite robust in terms of failure resistance and security considerations. If it is viable for something, then that's great. If it isn't, the research remains a valuable study.

Comment

There are a ton of reasons to bash Google. Not contributing to Open Source is not one of them. And the critic they brought here is genuine. Also I donĀ“t see how burying Fuchsia would make them more prone to upstream their Open Source Linux contributions.

Comment

The big contributors are Intel, Red Hat, Linaro, Samsung, SUSE, IBM and Renesas Electronics.

I guess Nvidia, Qualcomm, and MediaTek aren't contributing enough. As well as all of the fintech, military, aerospace, and automobile industry.

Comment

LOL the company causing the worst update and Open Source driver record with Android. Way to go Google and your commercial partners. First.

Comment

I guess Google aims this mostly at Amazon, Facebook and the other tech giants which heavily rely on Linux for their business. It seems that some companies contribute much more than others, so Google's point is valid.

Comment

Working...
                    X