Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.14 Drops Old DEC Alpha-Specific Binary Loader Used For x86 Binary Emulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.14 Drops Old DEC Alpha-Specific Binary Loader Used For x86 Binary Emulation

Phoronix: Linux 5.14 Drops Old DEC Alpha-Specific Binary Loader Used For x86 Binary Emulation

As a weekend blast from the past, the Linux 5.14 kernel saw some Alpha CPU architecture updates -- including various fixes and the removal of an Alpha-specific binary loader for running a decades dated x86 software emulator...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...86-Loader-Drop

What do you mean I can't run x86 Chrome on my 21364?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      Not that Chrome supports 32-bit on Linux these days.

Comment

very DECadent indeed,
        what a company
        what an era

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          very DECadent indeed,
          what a company
          what an era
          Amen to that, it was an amazing time indeed. I used to install and service these machines, including the big 32-socket GS320 "Wildfire". 64-bit CPUs in 32 sockets with 256 GB of memory was quite a feat 20 years ago. Had an equally impressive price tag, as the only other machines in that league came from SGI and Cray.

I still have an XP1000 in my basement, a parting gift from my manager when I left Compaq in 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
            The NSA will figure out a way to make it happen. They wouldn't want to lose access to your browsing data through their backdoors into Google's key-logging spyware that masquerades as a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

The NSA will figure out a way to make it happen. They wouldn't want to lose access to your browsing data through their backdoors into Google's key-logging spyware that masquerades as a web browser.
              Oh the amusing irony of that request.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Amen to that, it was an amazing time indeed. I used to install and service these machines, including the big 32-socket GS320 "Wildfire". 64-bit CPUs in 32 sockets with 256 GB of memory was quite a feat 20 years ago. Had an equally impressive price tag, as the only other machines in that league came from SGI and Cray.

I still have an XP1000 in my basement, a parting gift from my manager when I left Compaq in 2002.
                I wish I was born 10-20 years ago... These things have a charm that will not be equaled by any future products...
                Back when there were a lot of computer architectures... x86, Alpha, ARM, 68000, MIPS, SuperH... and a lot of operating systems... All the Unix ones (UnixWare, Solaris, HP-UX, BSD, AIX, NeXTSTEP and Linux and Minix (Unix-like)), Windows (both DOS and NT), NetWare, Mac OS, BeOS, AmigaOS, z/OS, OS/2, VMS...

Today it's just three - Windows, macOS and Linux... and two - iOS and Android in mobile sector...
                Last edited by tildearrow; 31 July 2021, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I wish I was born 10-20 years ago... These things have a charm that will not be equaled by any future products...
                  You aren't 10 years old yet? Seems a bit odd. Is Michael employing child labor to do his site editing tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

You aren't 10 years old yet? Seems a bit odd. Is Michael employing child labor to do his site editing tasks?
                    I was born just one year before 2000, silly.

Comment

Working...
                    X