Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Hits A Nasty Performance Regression With Linux 5.13

Phoronix: VMware Hits A Nasty Performance Regression With Linux 5.13

VMware has found the Linux 5.13 kernel that was released as stable one month ago has led to a serious performance regression for their ESXi enterprise hypervisor...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...sty-Linux-5.13

Interesting that the title of the offending commit is not really disclosing the substantive change that causes the problem.

When I custom compile a kernel I get the option to chnage the default time slice to be 1ms/3.333ms/10ms, but I think this scheduler configuration goes beyond even those timeslices...

Comment

Not related to VM, but I got a severe regression with an Intel 10Gbps NIC (x710-T2L), with Linux 5.13.5. The Ethernet speed drop drastically when copying few files at the same time (which is my default use case with this setup). I finally had to rollback to 5.12.

Comment

Not on my watch it won't

$ gzip -cd /proc/config.gz | grep -i SCHED_DEBUG
        # CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG is not set

Ubuntu's kernel:

$ grep -i SCHED_DEBUG /boot/config-5.4.0-81-generic
        CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y

Comment

Originally posted by Ealrann View Post
          Not related to VM, but I got a severe regression with an Intel 10Gbps NIC (x710-T2L), with Linux 5.13.5. The Ethernet speed drop drastically when copying few files at the same time (which is my default use case with this setup). I finally had to rollback to 5.12.
          I have suspicion that I am also experiencing the same problem, have intel 10GBE NIC's and I noticed the through put went down roughly at the same time I upgraded the Kernel to 5.13.x . I will downgrade at some point in the future to see if it improves performance, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

In my Kernel testing I encountered quite a few stability issues with 5.13, albeit I suspect taht these are partly compiler related. GCC 10.3 at -O2 (with my usual optimizations) is the most stable but the CPU utilization roughly doubled when the network traffic is under full load with 1 GBit (NIC is an Intel i350-T2V2) from 6% to 11 %; gaming performance is okay though albeit a tad slower. GCC 11.1 at -O3 has fundamental issues, but these are known and won't be fixed in the upstream Kernel. My Polly+LTO-optimized build with Clang 12.0.1 was in between performance/stability-wise, Clang 13 had some issues, but that is still in developement and to be expected from an experimental compiler.

Comment

The article should be updated to reflect Valentin Schneider's reply:

sysctl_sched_wakeup_granularity's default value hasn't been touched since
              2009:

172e082a9111 ("sched: Re-tune the scheduler latency defaults to decrease worst-case latencies")

and the automagic scaling (see kernel/sched/fair.c::update_sysctl()) hasn't
              changed much either.

What's likely to happen here is that you have a service in your distro (or
              somesuch) tweaking those values, and since the incriminated commit moves
              those files to /sys/kernel/debug/sched/, said service doesn't do anything
              anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                Not on my watch it won't

Ubuntu's kernel:

CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y
                Yes. I run Gentoo...double checked my config to be sure, it's not set on any of my servers and desktop. Although I haven't updated to 5.13 yet anyway. No one cares, but I'm post it anyway. Thank you for your time

Comment

What the vmware guys did explained... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS2aEfbEi7s

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    Not on my watch it won't

Ubuntu's kernel:

CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG=y
                    You can just use zgrep

Comment

Working...
                    X