Paragon's NTFS Driver For The Linux Kernel Spun Up A 27th Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Never mind, I'm an old geezer and I'm talking BS. Linux is perfect, it perfectly supports everything and it has a ton of perfect software for it.
    kcompactd0 is still (5.13.5) eating systems years after the bug was first noted, and that is used by everyone.

A driver really doesn't have much hope.

Comment

I'm talking about how difficult is to get your code merged despite the proclamations that it's open source and everyone is welcome to contribute. Not only you're not welcome, you have to work your buttocks off to be accepted. It's the 27th revision of the NTFS code - how crazy it is?

Never mind, I'm an old geezer and I'm talking BS. Linux is perfect, it perfectly supports everything and it has a ton of perfect software for it.

WTF, the guy tried to upstream the patch, got rejected ("don't want to use ifdefs"), the guy asked for suggestions and the maintainer's response was "NO IDEA".

No wonder Bernhard Seibold doesn't want to work on it anymore

Comment

I'm talking about how difficult is to get your code merged despite the proclamations that it's open source and everyone is welcome to contribute. Not only you're not welcome, you have to work your buttocks off to be accepted. It's the 27th revision of the NTFS code - how crazy it is?
        Only problem is, you went off-topic. You talked about AMD sensors, not about NTFS. Are you desperately talking about NTFS trying hard to get back on-topic?

Never mind, I'm an old geezer and I'm talking BS.
        You're not talking BS. You are just in the wrong thread.

Linux is perfect,
        Don't start.

it perfectly supports everything
        No, it doesn't. My 7-year-old capture card still has no Linux support. Razer device support is unofficial. My Broadcom wireless sometimes works, sometimes doesn't (even on Windows it's broken!). ca0132 is imperfect (no JACK support and sometimes it is not there but this happens on Windows as well).

and it has a ton of perfect software for it.
        No, it doesn't either. Ardour and Krita work well, but they don't replace Pro Tools or Photoshop.
        No massive-name professional video editors on Linux either (except for Resolve).

Comment

Paragon have continued to adjust and resubmit their initially rejected NTFS driver. Time, after time, after time. I admire their tenacity, at least.

Comment

How the hell these guys create a NTFS driver and sell if NTFS is proprietary and closed? Oo

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              How the hell these guys create a NTFS driver and sell if NTFS is proprietary and closed? Oo
              Because their NTFS driver doesn't have any MS code, it's a clean room implementation.

They need to just do a pull request already.

Comment

Open source doesn’t mean no standard.

Comment

I hope this time it will be merged.

Comment

I thought I was already using this in xanmod 5.13.6-2? ntfs3 filesystem seems to work, maybe that just goes back to fuse until this is ready...
                    Last edited by theriddick; 30 July 2021, 05:18 AM.

Comment

birdie I Inderstand your Point, but I, like the Kernel devs, wouldn't want to have code just because it works if I would have to support it with bad indentation, misuse of functions etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X