X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• khanich
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Open Source implementation of Audio Processing Technology codec (aptX) - pali/libopenaptx

NO read the readme. The developer of libopenaptx has stated that freedesktop and Collabora cannot use it. Because they use a code of conduct. GPLv3 it self does not forbid using a code of conduct. Yes once you remove all project using code of conduct from being able to use something that basically rules out all major Linux distributions.

Basically libopenaptx is useless garbage for the Linux desktop.
    Did you actually read the full README?
    His reasoning (as stated in there) is that freedesktop and Collabora abuse their Code of Conduct to steal Copyright.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    The libopenaptx thing is quite ridiculous. Usage restrictions are not in any way or form acceptable for Open Source or Free Software.

It doesn't really matter, though, the version of libopenaptx before the license change was already forked into libfreeaptx and that is what PipeWire is using now.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by khanich View Post

Well, Pulseaudio is LGPL2.1+ and libopenaptx is GPL3. So there may actually be a licensing problem.
    So I started to research:
    • Pulseaudio has the option to become GPL-licensed , if a library needs it.
    • Pulseaudio can use FFTW, gdbm and LIRC (these are explicitly mentioned). But gdbm and FFTW are GPL2 and LIRC is GPL3 (no "and newer versions"), so you can't use all of them at the same time from a licensing pov (their incompatibility isn't mentioned).
    • Pulseaudio has a GPL licensing file for such cases, but it only supports GPL2 there (not GPL2+).
    • I only found something aptx related together with bluez and GStreamer.
    This seems a bit fishy to me, but Let's go to PipeWire:
    • PipeWire is licensed under the MIT license.
    • The only GPL and LGPL libraries they mention are libspa-alsa.so, but that only makes it LGPL (they don't mention the version), and libjackserver.so, but that that makes it GPL2 and is as such incompatible with GPL3 of libopenaptx.
    • They use quite a lot of plugins which may or may not be compatible (didn't check these), but they don't use libopenaptx but bluez5-codec-aptx, although I failed to find this one. But a comment said this is an open source implementation by Qualcomm and in the bluez repo is a file under the Apache 2 license.
    Seems better, but Let's go to GStreamer:
    I found the use of libopenaptx and a restriction of GStreamer to use v0.2.0 as the maximum version which is as it seems the last version where they were allowed to use it. Apparently the libopenaptx project changed in the following version from LGPL2.1 to GPL3. Thanks to the upgrade term of the LGPL actually possible. They also introduced the restriction of freedesktop.org projects and Collabora at the same time.
    From a legal pov libopenaptx' change actually sounds ok to me.

The question is more their reasoning. Well, I am just going to ask.
    Open Source implementation of Audio Processing Technology codec (aptX) - pali/libopenaptx

NO read the readme. The developer of libopenaptx has stated that freedesktop and Collabora cannot use it. Because they use a code of conduct. GPLv3 it self does not forbid using a code of conduct. Yes once you remove all project using code of conduct from being able to use something that basically rules out all major Linux distributions.

Basically libopenaptx is useless garbage for the Linux desktop.

Leave a comment:

• hexavolta
    replied
    now that the pulseaudio project feels threatened by pipewire,,,competition is good but i wonder if both join hands under one roof would result in more good for the sake of the father project,a dream that would make Linux more enjoyable

Leave a comment:

• khanich
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Nobody View Post

The maintainer of libopenaptx states in libopenaptx's README file:

Pulseaudio and PipeWire are both Freedesktop projects. Seems the author is more keen on acting like a prima donna.
    Well, Pulseaudio is LGPL2.1+ and libopenaptx is GPL3. So there may actually be a licensing problem.
    So I started to research:
    • Pulseaudio has the option to become GPL-licensed , if a library needs it.
    • Pulseaudio can use FFTW, gdbm and LIRC (these are explicitly mentioned). But gdbm and FFTW are GPL2 and LIRC is GPL3 (no "and newer versions"), so you can't use all of them at the same time from a licensing pov (their incompatibility isn't mentioned).
    • Pulseaudio has a GPL licensing file for such cases, but it only supports GPL2 there (not GPL2+).
    • I only found something aptx related together with bluez and GStreamer.
    This seems a bit fishy to me, but Let's go to PipeWire:
    • PipeWire is licensed under the MIT license.
    • The only GPL and LGPL libraries they mention are libspa-alsa.so, but that only makes it LGPL (they don't mention the version), and libjackserver.so, but that that makes it GPL2 and is as such incompatible with GPL3 of libopenaptx.
    • They use quite a lot of plugins which may or may not be compatible (didn't check these), but they don't use libopenaptx but bluez5-codec-aptx, although I failed to find this one. But a comment said this is an open source implementation by Qualcomm and in the bluez repo is a file under the Apache 2 license.
    Seems better, but Let's go to GStreamer:
    I found the use of libopenaptx and a restriction of GStreamer to use v0.2.0 as the maximum version which is as it seems the last version where they were allowed to use it. Apparently the libopenaptx project changed in the following version from LGPL2.1 to GPL3. Thanks to the upgrade term of the LGPL actually possible. They also introduced the restriction of freedesktop.org projects and Collabora at the same time.
    From a legal pov libopenaptx' change actually sounds ok to me.

The question is more their reasoning. Well, I am just going to ask.

Leave a comment:

• holunder
    replied
    How can I check which codec is used? Connected via an Android device which defaults to AptX, Android dev settings here default to AptX in codec settings, which means this connection only supports SBC. Arch Linux.

Edit: pactl list
    Just SBC, I was right… What is wrong? libopenaptx + libldac + pulseaudio-bluetooth
    Last edited by holunder; 29 July 2021, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• harre
    replied
    Nice that Sennheiser GSX 1000 gets officially supported. I had some issues with it and needed to do some manual tweaks to get it working.

I had same problem with pipewire, but after filing a bug report a fix was out quickly and no manual fixing was needed.

Leave a comment:

• Daktyl198
    replied
    Glad pulse is still getting updates for now. PipeWire can’t see any of the audio devices on my system (hdmi or USB DAC) so it’s impossible to use it. Pulse only for me, for a while longer.

Leave a comment:

• Old Nobody
    replied
    Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

Same as with PipeWire
    For aptX / aptX HD, you need to install libopenaptx by yourself : https://github.com/pali/libopenaptx
    If the lib's there, those codecs should work.

For LDAC, at least in Fedora, the lib is in the official repo : libldac.x86_64 2.0.2.3-8.fc34 @fedora
    The maintainer of libopenaptx states in libopenaptx's README file:
    As Freedesktop and Collabora projects are continuously abusing and violating license of this project and claiming that they can do it as it is supported by their own Code of Conduct (including censorship practising, removal of all user reports mentioning these activities, banning these users and not explaining anything), this library and any other project which uses this library must not be used or distributed in any Freedesktop or Collabora project, application or library, either in source code, loaded or linked at compile time or at runtime either directly or transitionally throw additional wrapper library or in any other similar form.
    Pulseaudio and PipeWire are both Freedesktop projects. Seems the author is more keen on acting like a prima donna.

Leave a comment:

• binarybanana
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Quality and PulseAudio… that's not something I often hear in the same sentence within the Linux community
    works on my machine

Although I only started using it a few years ago when I wanted to seamlessly switch between internal output and HDMI. NBut I never had any issues. Even latency is great with MuQSS (< 2ms).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X