Google Continues Working On Suspend-Only Swap Spaces For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    Framework is designed to be end-user repairable. That's something we need to encourage.
    Absolutely!

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
    Nice to know. But I still think Windows swaps a lot more aggressive, at least it wasn't completely useless even on HDDs.
    Windows has some very odd swap behaviour, which seems to change with every update. It uses available memory better than it used to, though.

Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 29 July 2021, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Let's all root for this laptop. (If I used laptops, it'd be the one I want.)
      First minute of the review of the most upgradable laptop in the world ... and non-removable battery shows <facepalm>.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925

Sure, on systems that allow upgrading RAM. I have a laptop with 8 GB of soldered RAM.
        The rule of a thumb is not to buy a laptops with soldered RAM. This is the very first component that will become a bottleneck of your device. Of course there are situations when you do not have a choice. In such case the only thing we can do for you is to feel sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Just buy business laptop from HP, lenovo, or dell. It's good enough and upgradeable.
          Nope, every generation they are less and less upgradable. Compare Thinkpad T480 and T490. Non-removable battery and only one RAM slot.

Comment

Originally posted by foxhound View Post

First minute of the review of the most upgradable laptop in the world ... and non-removable battery shows <facepalm>.
            The battery IS replaceable. Not only does it have the same "big descriptive label and a QR code" design as all the other replaceable components, if you find a frame that's close enough and in-focus, like https://youtu.be/0rkTgPt3M4k?t=210, you can actually read the text "This battery is replaceable" printed on it.

...or did you mean that they should have made the battery hot-swappable? (Or at least removable without having to bring a screwdriver.) ...because I do agree that was a missed opportunity. I have some old laptops from the Windows XP era with batteries in roughly the same shape that can be released and replaced from the outside with no tools.
            Last edited by ssokolow; 17 August 2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I have some old laptops from the Windows XP era with batteries in roughly the same shape that can be released and replaced from the outside with no tools.
              I think the last laptop I had with an externally removable battery was a Windows 7 job with a GTX680M inside it. That thing was powerful, but weighed an absolute ton. It wasn't a hot-swappable battery, either, but it was nice that I could run that laptop bolted to a desk with the battery removed, so it wasn't constantly trickle-charging and killing it by degrees. Every laptop since has had a (technically) non-user accessible battery in it, but that never stopped me before. Finding a trustworthy replacement... that stops me. They're either flat out impossible to get, or from a site or seller I consider about as trustworthy as the bloke on the alley mouth looking shifty with five dozen watches on his wrist.

Comment

...or did you mean that they should have made the battery hot-swappable? (Or at least removable without having to bring a screwdriver.) ...because I do agree that was a missed opportunity. I have some old laptops from the Windows XP era with batteries in roughly the same shape that can be released and replaced from the outside with no tools.
                This is what exactly I meant and actually wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by foxhound View Post

This is what exactly I meant and actually wrote.
                  You wrote "non-removable battery" without any clarification. I had to assume that you might have misread the appearance of the battery as somehow only replaceable by unscrewing the whole motherboard component from the case and replacing the base electronic components as a single unit.

As for making it replaceable without tools, giving the benefit of the doubt would assume that they ran out of time/skill to do it without compromising the rigidity of a case that thin.

Comment

Working...
                  X