Google Continues Working On Suspend-Only Swap Spaces For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Um, you. You're the one battling. You commented on this thread with something silly. People corrected you, now you're going after each one instead of just admitting that you were flat out wrong.

Ok bud, you do you.
    I wasn't fighting with anyone. Tell me where I was fighting with before your post? Please quote me a discussion or post.

Are you finish with your stupid theories yet, or you intend to keep going? "perpetually high" nick tells the tale, isn't?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post

I wasn't fighting with anyone. Tell me where I was fighting with before your post? Please quote me a discussion or post.

Are you finish with your stupid theories yet, or you intend to keep going? "perpetually high" nick tells the tale, isn't?
      I didn't say you were fighting, I said battle as in figuratively speaking.

I actually have no beef with you or anyone, but you weren't making all that much sense in the thread. And yeah we get it, I and many others smoke weed. You should probably too. It's good for you. Gives you wings

Comment

Current machine has 32GB of RAM and I manually set a 16GB swapfile. Most of the time the machine rarely uses more than 300MB of that swapfile. Usually during large file transfers operation (like my monthly backups), opening an ungodly number of tabs in FF, or for some freaking reason baloo indexing, my system would use almost 3GB of the swapfile despite RAM usage being below 70%.

Comment

I have 120 Gb of ram and I need it to watch Netflix!

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
            RAM is cheap. I bought 64GB of it with my recent Ryzen upgrade. No need for swap. Swap can be enabled on demand when hibernation is called, and disabled once PC is waked. Don't need to complicate that if you want to have hibernation only swap today.
            Swap is a necessary part of the kernel's RAM defragmentation system. If your system seems to leak memory with no apparent thing using it over the course of a long session, that's probably the culprit.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            zram is waste of ram
            I've tried on-disk swap, no swap, and zram. zram produces the best real-world results.

Comment

Originally posted by jacek23

There is a finite number of laptops models, and it may be that none of the laptops with upgradable ram satisfy other requirements or is simply difficult to buy.
              I think that general trends demand that "high quality laptops" be "thing" which tends to imply soldering components. Buying crappy plastic laptop with tendency do break is not an acceptable compromise for replaceable parts.

Actually I personally found a solution: I don't buy laptops But some people do actually need a laptop as opposed to a desktop PC.

Good quality "repairable" laptops are difficult to come by these days.
              Let's all root for this laptop. (If I used laptops, it'd be the one I want.)

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Technically you have a choice. You can inform your supervisor that you need something better. You can purchase your own device and install the company image (if required). You can leave the company to work somewhere where the supervisor respects the opinions of their staff and supports their needs. If you choose (and it is a choice) to do none of those then you have made a different choice (but you made your choice).
                well, can't say your reasoning is completely wrong.
                however, if you weight the cost of your solution against the cost of enabling a configuration swtich on your OS, it should be clear which is the preferred alternative

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Let's all root for this laptop. (If I used laptops, it'd be the one I want.)
                  Just buy business laptop from HP, lenovo, or dell. It's good enough and upgradeable.

Comment

you probably define "normal use" as "check quickly after boot". alternatively you've never looked at swap usage, so you've never seen it
                    I don't. But until recently, I had an installation that started as Fedora 24. Now I upgraded my system and freshly installed F34 and after opening (+loading) >200 Tabs in FF and every other software I might use and half a day of work, I have 1MB Swap usage. That is 1MB more then I expected.
                    This is swap on zram btw, so the swappiness is probably higher then what I had before.

Now I tried forcing an OOM situation, and it swapped ~2GB without completely breaking my system. I expect zram is simply infinitely faster then the crappy SSD I had before.

Nice to know. But I still think Windows swaps a lot more aggressive, at least it wasn't completely useless even on HDDs.

zram is waste of ram
                    In my test, I had a compression ratio of 3:1. So if I can have even only a few GBs more fast Swap without trashing my SSD, that sounds like a good deal to me. Sure it doesn't help if your compute workload needs more Ram then you have. But it may delay the need to buy a new machine/more Ram.
                    Last edited by Mathias; 28 July 2021, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Just buy business laptop from HP, lenovo, or dell. It's good enough and upgradeable.
                      Framework is designed to be end-user repairable. That's something we need to encourage.

Comment

Working...
                      X