Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BPF Timers Support Set To Finally Appear With Linux 5.15

Phoronix: BPF Timers Support Set To Finally Appear With Linux 5.15

The latest BPF functionality set to appear with Linux 5.15 this autumn is timers support...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...For-Linux-5.15

when i try to look far in the future i imagine a kernel consisting of drivers and a bpf interpreter in rust and everything else just being bpf scripts.

what do you think? would that be a good?

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
      when i try to look far in the future i imagine a kernel consisting of drivers and a bpf interpreter in rust and everything else just being bpf scripts.

Probably has the same problem as a pure microkernel... great in theory, but not good enough performance.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
        Don't think so. I don't like BPF, admittedly form my limited insight into it.
        I think there is a case to have native code there and that will prevail in the end, despite all concerns.

BTW, why couldn't compiler's intermediate code be used there instead of BPF ?

Last edited by Brane215; 24 July 2021, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Giving high precision timers to in-kernel BPF programs.

Not going to lie, if I were someone especially concerned about side-channels, I'd be plenty worried about this.

Comment

Working...
          X