QEMU 6.1 Is On The Way For The Open-Source Linux Virtualization Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 6.1 Is On The Way For The Open-Source Linux Virtualization Stack

Phoronix: QEMU 6.1 Is On The Way For The Open-Source Linux Virtualization Stack

Released on Tuesday was QEMU 6.1.0-rc0 as the first test release working towards QEMU 6.1's stable debut before the end of August...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anybody know what happened to virtio-snd, the paravirtualized sound device? No sign of it on the QEMU side so far?

The guest driver for it has already made it into the mainline Linux kernel: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ver-Linux-5.13

We need to stop wasting CPU cycles on pointlessly emulating actual hardware in VMs. Paravirtualize all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
      Does anybody know what happened to virtio-snd, the paravirtualized sound device? No sign of it on the QEMU side so far?

The guest driver for it has already made it into the mainline Linux kernel: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ver-Linux-5.13

We need to stop wasting CPU cycles on pointlessly emulating actual hardware in VMs. Paravirtualize all the things!
      soon, qemu is generally fairly slow to implement features like this, but also the dev behind it is busy last I heard, relevant mailing list
      https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-de...msg825883.html

Comment

That answers my question perfectly. Thanks, Quackdoc.

Hopefully, more developers will step in to help get this over the finish line in the next release. It looks like a fair chunk of the work is already done by this developer.

It does make me wonder how the Linux driver was tested then, if apparently nothing has been released yet to take advantage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
          That answers my question perfectly. Thanks, Quackdoc.

Hopefully, more developers will step in to help get this over the finish line in the next release. It looks like a fair chunk of the work is already done by this developer.

It does make me wonder how the Linux driver was tested then, if apparently nothing has been released yet to take advantage of it.
          because it's a pair of virtualized driver, you can actually do testing on the host itself. But honestly, instead of virtio-snd, im more excited for virtio-gpu venus. Vulkan guest support is going to be so nice when implemented, and hopefully we may even see a Windows back end.

Comment

I agree. Let's hope support for both will be implemented in a future QEMU release soon! And perhaps in other hypervisors too.

Comment

Working...
            X