Linus Torvalds Calls On Paragon To Send In The New NTFS Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

I do that for years already. What are you missing? That worked with ntfs-3g and it works even better with ntfs3.
    Awesome, I'd be really curious how you are running that.

Comment

I think Microsoft should issue the pull request.

Doesn't Microsoft heart Linux?

Comment

I have been installing both Steam on Linux and Windows on a dual boot machine from long time ago. What I did next was to reserve an NTFS partition and a directory inside to store the games and mount it on Linux (Windows always see it). Finally I added that directory to both Steam's library data locations and worked like a charm. Take care later that you are installing each game in the directory you want. NTFS 3G has not the best performance, but it works like a charm for now. Waiting for this Paragon driver

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Oh please, I've been waiting for a very long time for a high performance and accuracy NTFS driver for my dual-boot systems.
          It's really nice to see Linus himself trying to help with this getting merged.
          Maybe Linux can get so advanced one day that we can play games installed on a NTFS partition from Windows, directly so we don't need install the games twice and use double the space.
          I dual-boot and symlink Downloads, Music, Videos, and Pictures to Windows' directories on an NTFS partition (mounted with ntfs-3g), and store most of my documents in Windows' Documents directory. I keep most of my web sites, git folders, and all programming work Linux-only on ext4. It all works, the biggest day-to-day hassle is ls shows everything green because NTFS or ntfs-3g seems to have no idea about executable permissions, everything is executable. I have no idea if keeping files on ntfs-3g affects performance, it's worked for over a decade

People would be a lot more impressed when they try booting a Linux distro off USB flash drive if it auto-discovered Windows user directories on the hard drive and offered to automatically mount these directories.

I even set my main Linux Firefox and Thunderbird profiles to use the Windows directories, so my browsing and mail folders are shared. Mozilla doesn't support this (they expect you to use Firefox Sync to share across separate profiles), but developers are pretty good at fixing occasional unintentional breakage.

I should re-try pointing my Linux Steam library to Windows, I somehow lost it when I switched to the Steam flatpak. 256 GB laptop drives just aren't big enough!

Comment

I, long ago, migrated my win-share NTFS partition to UDF, due to large amounts of ntfs-3g instability problems. (eg, Had scandisk/fsck problems, making the NTFS partition not mountable.) Then recently migrated the win-share partition to EXFAT, once the kernel with Samsung's patches for including EXFAT file system was available.

So far everything is finally running well. Although would be nice to have a journal enabled file system compatible with Windows & Linux, and I really do not want to play with Windows experimental EXT2 drivers.

I extremely doubt I'll ever waste more time converting my present win-share EXFAT partition(s) to a NTFS file system supported by a third-party driver, with all the previous problems with ntfs-3g fsck/scandisk. I use, at most, for pulling a file or two from my Windows O/S partition.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

Awesome, I'd be really curious how you are running that.
              Really nothing special. I just mount the ntfs drive and add the Steam folder via Steam as a new library. Then all my games show up and I can launch them.
              I just have to make sure that I don't have any games in there that have native linux support, otherwise it keeps updating to the linux version by default (and back to the windwos version when I reboot). In those cases I manually enforce the usage of proton via settings on that particular game.

Comment

Originally posted by skierpage View Post
                I dual-boot and symlink Downloads, Music, Videos, and Pictures to Windows' directories on an NTFS partition (mounted with ntfs-3g), and store most of my documents in Windows' Documents directory. I keep most of my web sites, git folders, and all programming work Linux-only on ext4. It all works, the biggest day-to-day hassle is ls shows everything green because NTFS or ntfs-3g seems to have no idea about executable permissions, everything is executable. I have no idea if keeping files on ntfs-3g affects performance, it's worked for over a decade

People would be a lot more impressed when they try booting a Linux distro off USB flash drive if it auto-discovered Windows user directories on the hard drive and offered to automatically mount these directories.

I even set my main Linux Firefox and Thunderbird profiles to use the Windows directories, so my browsing and mail folders are shared. Mozilla doesn't support this (they expect you to use Firefox Sync to share across separate profiles), but developers are pretty good at fixing occasional unintentional breakage.

I should re-try pointing my Linux Steam library to Windows, I somehow lost it when I switched to the Steam flatpak. 256 GB laptop drives just aren't big enough!
                I'm fairly certain there are only specific games that don't like being launched from an NTFS drive. Part of the problem is NTFS is the 'fake' case Sensitive filesystem, and Linux filesystems tend to be real case sensitive. Seems Unix is the only one who takes case sensitivity seriously, as the Mac, Windows, Amiga, etc all lie about being case sensitive, and of course still are in weird ways that are irritating (like on the Amiga, now that it has tab auto-complete by default you can still have different files in Foo and foo, folders, but when you hit 'cd F<tab>' you'll only get Foo, and not foo as an option, which zsh handles nicely.

Comment

Working...
                X