Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtualBox Shared Folder With Linux 5.14 Will Open New Files Faster, Fixes "git clone"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps4life
    replied
    It was stable for me on openSUSE tumbleweed.

Leave a comment:

• iDont
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

The driver runs on the guest OS. I still don't understand why Oracle provides their own guest drivers when the kernel already has them.
    Oracle's own guest drivers are promoted by VirtualBox itself but at the same time are not allowed to be used in a commercial environment, so they probably make money with selling a enterprise licence equivalent.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

The driver runs on the guest OS. I still don't understand why Oracle provides their own guest drivers when the kernel already has them.
    Probably because (for some reason), they need to match the exact version of VBox running on the host.

That aside, is VBox crashy for other people? Or is it just me? Running on Windows host, it crashes on simple stuff like logging out.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    I moved from vbox to kvm without issues, nice there are options though.

Leave a comment:

• xorbe
    replied
    I found that I lost timestamp accuracy with vboxsf. Granted that ext4 has 1ns resolution, and exfat has 10ms resolution, but still, you'd think that 10ms would be enough that 'make' wouldn't have a meltdown. Maybe vboxsf rounds off to 2s like old FAT resolution was.

Leave a comment:

• Gps4life
    replied
    I had a problem on openSUSE tumbleweed, after getting a kernel upgrade, virtual box stopped working.

From a bug report I was shown, I know they are already aware of this.

With help from the openSUSE forum, now using KVM.

Guest failed to start with 5.13 kernel.

For other tumbleweed users, in the grub screen you can select the 5.12 kernel under advanced options.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by idcmp_ View Post
    Is this for Linux as the host or for the VM (or does it have to be both)?

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    How is it possible it was originally merged in a state that breaks userspace? Is GIT or vboxfs at fault there?

And what is going on in kernel land when normal update is not reviewed in 6 months?
    Last edited by varikonniemi; 13 July 2021, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• idcmp_
    replied
    Is this for Linux as the host or for the VM (or does it have to be both)?

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Good to see work on this. Hopefully we'll get support for virtiofs in the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X