Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Folios Being Sought For Linux 5.15

Phoronix: Memory Folios Being Sought For Linux 5.15

Being worked on for quite a while now by longtime kernel developer Matthew Wilcox of Oracle is memory folios to improve Linux's memory management and allow for greater efficiency. Benchmarks with memory folios have shown for example kernel builds can be up to 7% faster. It's looking like there is a desire to see at least some of this folios code land for Linux 5.15...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good that the kernel will compile faster because Google is sponsoring work to add Rust to the kernel which will make it compile slower.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Good that the kernel will compile faster because Google is sponsoring work to add Rust to the kernel which will make it compile slower.
      Wow, another inventive way to hijack a topic just to announce to the world that you do not like Rust.
      I like Matthews work on memory folios and hope it will make it in 5.15. It will likely speed up all compile jobs - even Rusty ones!

Comment

Originally posted by LuukD View Post

Wow, another inventive way to hijack a topic just to announce to the world that you do not like Rust.
        I like Matthews work on memory folios and hope it will make it in 5.15. It will likely speed up all compile jobs - even Rusty ones!
        But I love Rust!
        It is a very nice language which much more robustness, reliability, and safety than other low-level languages such as C and C++ but while providing convenient zero-cost abstractions common in high-level languages such as generics. The Option<T> and Result<T> types are great, especially together with the match statement.

Comment

But I love Rust!
          It is a very nice language which much more robustness, reliability, and safety than other low-level languages such as C and C++ but while providing convenient zero-cost abstractions common in high-level languages such as generics. The Option<T> and Result<T> types are great, especially together with the match statement.
          Except C of Linux kernel is not pure C. https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/sparse.1.html

Really I would like to see sparse with the Linux kernel grow more __attribute__(()) to provide more rust checking features so reducing the distance between Linux kernel C and Rust.

Comment

But I love Rust!
            My apologies mate. I misinterpreted your comment.

Comment

But this is not going to benefit desktop users, right? 'Cause normally when something like this is being proposed/worked on by a company invested in Linux, people in the community say it will not benefit desktop users.

Comment

work to add Rust to the kernel
                Sometimes people do strange things just not to add Nim or Zig.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  But this is not going to benefit desktop users, right? 'Cause normally when something like this is being proposed/worked on by a company invested in Linux, people in the community say it will not benefit desktop users.
                  It depends a little on the programs you run, but it may very well be beneficial to desktop users.
                  I am sure Michael will benchmark the implications for the desktop in due time.

Comment

Originally posted by LuukD View Post
                    [My apologies mate. I misinterpreted your comment.
                    Don't apologize! You were absolutely right to criticize uid313 for needlessly injecting Rust into a thread that had nothing to do with it!

Comment

Working...
                    X