No announcement yet.

Latest Patches Sent Out For Adding Rust Support To The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh please don't add fucking cargo as a kernel dependency. Rust, ok if it helps, but cargo is literally the definition of distro-unfriendly software.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Let me guess. They're following Firefox's lead in abusing the environment variable for building rustc itself which grants stable/beta-channel access to unstable language features which are only supposed to be accessible on nightly channel.
      Why would you guess that? There are always unstable features in the stable and beta channels, why would you assume they're also pulling in some more?

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post
        Oh please don't add fucking cargo as a kernel dependency. Rust, ok if it helps, but cargo is literally the definition of distro-unfriendly software.
        Not one line says anything about cargo.
        As far as I have seen, cargo works very well for a purely Rust project. If that doesn't work for you, you can always work with rustc directly.

Comment

Rust? In the kernel? Why not Python? Or even better: Java.

Comment

Originally posted by cesarcafe View Post
            You level of ignorance doesn't even fit in our solar system.

Comment

Originally posted by cesarcafe View Post
              ehm sir, you seems confused.

aren't you mistaking rust with ruby? are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post
                It is there temporarily. To re-build the standard-library with the aforementioned "no abort if allocation doesn't work"-features. And the standard library is only used for the tests.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  I think most people would consider improved security and stability more important than -O3
                  But is Rust's security really that much better? -O3 is irrelevant (I don't care about that either), but as for security, real world shows Rust's most advertised feature, its "better security compared to C++" is very limited and over-estimated. There is no shortage of memory memory-related CVEs in Rust crates, both double-drops/frees and dereference of invalid memory. See link below.
                  Or even more shocking, Firefox has about 20% of its native code in Rust, yet the share of memory-related CVEs (percentage-wise) is basically still the same as in any other non-Rust project (about 70%).

Sources:
                  The mission of the CVE® Program is to identify, define, and catalog publicly disclosed cybersecurity vulnerabilities.

https://www.openhub.net/p/firefox/an...guages_summary
                  https://www.cvedetails.com/product/3...?vendor_id=452
                  Last edited by ultimA; 05 July 2021, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post
                    Or even more shocking, Firefox has about 20% of its native code in Rust, yet the share of memory-related CVEs (percentage-wise) is basically still the same as in any other non-Rust project (about 70%).
                    Well, Firefox only being 20% rust is part of the problem. Many CVEs in firefox are about dealing with C interfaces in a safe way.
                    Last edited by oleid; 05 July 2021, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      Well, Firefox only being 20% rust is part of the problem. Many CVEs in firefox are about dealing with C interfaces in a safe way.
                      Sure, and because it is not completely written in Rust, I am not expecting Firefox to be free of memory-related issues. But if it is 20% Rust, I do expect it to have almost 20% (or at least 10%) less memory-related issues, which is not the case at all. One might argue the reason is memory-related issues are not guaranteed to have the same occurrence rate in all parts of the code. But it is safe to assume that Mozilla didn't choose to rewrite exactly those parts in Rust that are the least likely to have security issues, so I'm pretty sure this doesn't explain it.

Comment

Working...
                      X